VM Carb MAJOR PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb MAJOR PROBLEM

While cleaning my vm carbs, I took out to pilot fuel screw and noticed that the end of it was broken off inside the card.. while trying to get it out.. I broke the end of a needle off in another hole.. what in the world do i do to get them out? I think i might have to replace the carb.. does anyone know where i can buy individual VM carbs? used? I really dont want to have to buy another carb.. but i understand if i have to then i must.. any ideas on removing these peices of crap?

search and ye shall find

Comment

Well crap.. now i feel dumb.. I have that problem.. and also the slightely larger hole closer to the center of the carb i broke off the end of a needle in that hole... i broke off the needle head IN THE WWRONG HOLEE.. im an idiot.. Anyway does anyone have ideas about how to get this out?

Comment

Well once you get the tip of the screw out... maybe a powerful jet of compressed air will pop the needle tip out? maybe?

Comment

not sure maybe. Just bought a total parts carb with all 4 carbs for like 40 bucks on ebay.. so ill prolly just mesh my two together

Comment

Originally posted by craywm View Post
            Well crap.. now i feel dumb.. I have that problem.. and also the slightely larger hole closer to the center of the carb i broke off the end of a needle in that hole... i broke off the needle head IN THE WWRONG HOLEE.. im an idiot.. Anyway does anyone have ideas about how to get this out?
            Not sure what you're saying here but there's two holes and only one is regulated by the pilot fuel screw. Don't see how you can break off a tip in the other hole. Hoomgar's thread seems to have good info.
            Be careful with re-assemling your carbs with carbs from another bank. All carbs are numbered and can't be swapped around. Keep the parts from each carb together. Don't mix the float valve seats with another float valve, etc. Read posts around hear regarding proper cleaning. Check all inner o-rings before re-assembly. Might want to go with new o-rings. Be sure the manifolds and their o-rings are good too before putting the carbs back on.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bought 79 VM parts carbs so i hope they are compatible with my carbs. I have kept all the needles and jets and every part specific to each carb together. Ill get the carbs this week. I hope they are compatible!

There are 2 holes in the carb and i broke the end of a sewing needle in the hole that was not for the fuel air mixture. This is the carb body that i was going to replace. I hope that it is still replaceable. Thank you all!

Comment

If your bike is the 79 750 they should work fine if they're the 26VMs. Now for a mechanical engineer don't you think you need a bit more finesse?? best of luck, post a picture when you get the chance.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well what confused me was that he posted it as an S29 which doesnt even make sense because they never even made a VM in that size... not to mention that configuration of numbers. So i figured the guy just didnt know what he was talking about. I got it for 40 dollars anyway. the description was the choke and slide were locked up. With shouldnt be hard to fix with a nice soak. These are the same carb body styles from my 79. I know that the 77 had different carb designs but i believe that this is the correct carb. I will post picks of my pretty new rebuilt carb when i finish it! Thank you!

Caleb

Comment

Perhaps S29 means VM29?!???

If it does then you are unbelievably lucky...

Comment

There was never a VM29SS made for a GS750.

You can see this here:

I asked him why it was listed this way and not as a VM26SS and he never responded.

It has a 7-day return on it so if it was listed wrong for anyreason i can return it.. all 40 bucks of it. lol We will see how it turns out!

Comment

He seemed to think a 1979 GS750 Contained a VM29SS(which was never made) and that VM29SS that was never made some how had a 41mm bore!! Hope i didnt luck out on this one...

Comment

Yeah, I had a similar problem with the carbs on my 77 GS750B. The PO or someone else who worked on the bike who didn't know what they he11 they were doing twisted the #1 and #4 screws in until they broke.

I was able to get them out but I did enlarge the holes somewhat which has always bothered me. So, I bought a whole carb bank from a forum member for $100. They were junk. Beside being almost uncleanable, the #1 and #4 screws were jammed in them as well and I enlarged the jets getting them unstuck.

Anyway, the bike has bigger problems so I shoved it in the back corner of the garage and bought a Bandit. I may work on it this winter as a project. I'll follow this thread to see how you make out.

Comment

VM29's were a performance part and they are VERY rare to come by these days.

Comment

Does this mean these parts will not fit my VM26? and if so, I will have to rebuild the VM29 seperate from the VM26? that would be terrible.. i know id have to order replacement parts for a VM29 and im SURE those are hard to come by... crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X