Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't Start

Hi Guys
    I finally got time to remove my carbs today.The gaskets are identical to oem.As for the mixture screws I have posted photo's but am a little reluctant to start drilling the plugs out that you identified

Comment

Won't Start

mixture screw cover.Will replacing screws under plug get the fuel to flow??

Comment

Originally posted by Hodado View Post
        Hi Guys
        I finally got time to remove my carbs today.The gaskets are identical to oem.As for the mixture screws I have posted photo's but am a little reluctant to start drilling the plugs out that you identified
        Have no fear, they will come out easy. Drill small hole- not to deep!, cuz plug is thin- use sheet metal screw to grab into hole, and twist plug out.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

mixture screw cover.Will replacing screws under plug get the fuel to flow??
          You remove mixture screws to clean out the little passages that snake thru carb bodies. With screws out, you can force gumout spray thru pilot jet passage-you must remove pilot jets- to ensure fuel/air can reach up to those tiny holes around the throttle plate.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom Goin back to work today,will try to repair this weekend if I can get my garage above 25 degrees,winter sux

Comment

Air mixture screw setting

I removed the plugs to access the air mixture screws.In the process of putting in new parts.How far do I screw these in? Do I stop when they are seated?
              Also where do I get the correct tubing for gasline;everything that I find in automotive parts places around here is a thicker wall and rubs against the body and does not seem to fit as it should
              Thanks
              Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

First of all, skip the "air", they are just "MIXTURE" screws.

Next, did you do a full strip-down of the carbs so you can dip them for about 24 hours EACH?
                If not, you will be chasing your tail, wondering why the carbs are not working.

I see that you have at least ordered the o-rings from cycleorings.com, good. The K&L kits might leave a bit to be desired, use as many of your STOCK brass pieces as possible.

To set the MIXTURE screws, turn each one in carefully, until it seats lightly, then back out 3 full turns. That's three, full, 360-degree turns, not 'flips' of the screwdriver (180 degrees each). That will allow the bike to start. When the engine is warmed up, you will need to slowly turn the MIXTURE screws in, listening for any increase in idle speed. Stop at the highest speed. If there is no increase, but starts to decrease, stop at the decrease and back up about 1/8 turn.

The screws might end up about 2 to 2.5 turns out, it changes from bike to bike, even from cylinder to cylinder on the same bike. When you are done, record your settings for future reference.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes carbs were soaked overnight and then some on stubborn areas.Actually all parts from kit were brass. Thanks for your help

Comment

Actually all parts from kit were brass.
                    They always are, but that's not the point.

Too many times, the brass in the kits is of sub-standard quality. You are better off using your original, stock brass pieces.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      They always are, but that's not the point.

Too many times, the brass in the kits is of sub-standard quality. You are better off using your original, stock brass pieces.

Hodado; heed this advice from Steve, much of aftermarket stuff is inferior; The original parts (except for orings and gaskets) aren't likely to wear out.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                      X