Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neew suggestions for removing screws from carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neew suggestions for removing screws from carbs?

Finally managed to get my carbs off the bike. the plate that holds the choke cable was something of an issue. I finally got the cable threaded back out by adding tons of WD40 into the small metal pipe (so I could physically remove the carbs from the bike) but the screws attached to the plate are just suck on there good.

Here's a photo of the plate...

I assume many of these screws will be tough to get off (and I may replace with the hex screws once done). The screws that hold the plate down are starting to strip and I assume that others will too.

Does anyone out there have a good suggestion for removing the screws? I hate to go drilling unless I have to b/c I don't want to have to re-thread anything.

I'm going to try and spray WD40 on many of them but I was wondering if heating them with a a small torch might loosen them up (after I've let everything air out for a few days of course).

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Used an impact driver on mine... Worked fine. You generally should have one for these bikes anyway. $15 at Kragen or similar.

If you completely strip them then dremel a slot and use the straight one with the impact hammer.

Soaking in kroil or decent oil not WD40 would help too...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Those are easy to grab with a pair of mole grips as well.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+2 on the impact driver...then replace them with Allen heads.....

Comment

No problem with small vice-grip- clamp on real tight and twist!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I like to let em sit for a few days hitting em with PB Blaster several times a day.
            The impact driver is great advise as well. Cant work on these old things without it.
            After you get the tops and bowls off do the few days thing with internal screws and jets as well.
            Patience is key when dealing with these kinda things.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Learned the lesson of good(not WD40) penetrating oil here.Used it on the exhaust bolts on all the bike I got(see sig thread)and have not stripped one yet.Not being one to tempt fate to many times I'm putting SS studs in.Go for the Allen's

They are way easier to work with than Phillips.Those choke holder screws are a little longer than the rest to.Ask me how I know

Comment

As mentioned, an impact wrench and good penetrating oil are the way to go. WD40 is not a penetrating oil so its not really going to help, something like Deep Creep, BP Blaster, Liquid Wrench, Honey Goo or the like would be much better.

Once they are out, replacing with 6mm cap screws is definitely the way to go as you will need to rip into them again at some point.

One other little tip. When putting in the float bowl gaskets, rub a little axle grease into both sides of the gasket. This will allow the gasket to be reused and it will seperate cleanly if and when the float bowls are removed.

Have fun with it.

cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Used an impact driver on mine... Worked fine. You generally should have one for these bikes anyway. $15 at Kragen or similar.

If you completely strip them then dremel a slot and use the straight one with the impact hammer.

Soaking in kroil or decent oil not WD40 would help too...
                  This.

I find that a flat head screw bit in a 1/4" socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet allows for good downforce, AND leverage, which is helpful. but SLOT THE SCREW first. dont be afraid to cut it good and deep so your bit gets a good bite on the head. I've had to do this on pretty effectively EVERY carburetor I've ever touched. I've considered hex head machine screws too, well worth it as replacements, since those conventionals suck.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                    ... but SLOT THE SCREW first. ...
                    Here is one way to do that.

Use the large cut-off wheel in your Dremel Rotary Tool.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Different Method and It Works

Use a punch with a flat head (like a nail punch), or drift, place it against the side of the head of the screw and give it a good swipe with a hammer which knocks the screw head sideways slightly (not noticeable to the naked eye). Then just undo the screw as normal. Works every time for me. Did all my carbs screws this way and also the screws that hold the carb boots onto the head. Try it before dismissing it.

Comment

I used penetrating oil (PB blaster) and a small pair of vice grips. They came right out, then replaced with socket head cap screws (allen head).

Comment

If they still wont come out (I've had it happen numerous times) just use a drill bit that is bigger than the threaded section of the screw, drill down til the head of the screw comes off. Once the pressure is relieved, they will screw right out the bottom with needle nose.

Comment

First, make sure you are using a JIS screwdriver, not a Phillips. Soak with PB Blaster. If the cross does get stripped, as mentioned I always have luck with my mini- curved jaw vice grips.

If you get to the point of needing to drill them out, sometimes my use of a reverse twist (counter-clockwise) drill bit bites into the remaining metal and unscrews the screw.

Comment

Impact drivers work well to save the heads of tight screws. If the "cross" gets messed up you can dremel an straight slot in as well. Put a lot of downward pressure on a screwdriver to be sure its getting max grip and wont twist up the cross too much..using the proper sized screwdirver helps a lot too. Too many times the wrong size is used and that will just casue damage .
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X