'82 650GS carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 650GS carb issue

I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to what I am looking for.

I recently got a '82 650GS GL from a kid headed off to basic. I *know* that it ran as I seen it running. Before I got it, he took the carbs somewhere and had them rebuilt.

The kid was very unorganized and basically scattered everything every where when he was taking it apart.

I was a mechanic for almost 10 years, so I'm mechanically inclined but I am not too familiar with bikes. I went out and bought a service manual but it does not show me what I need to know.

It has 4 carbs and I do not know where what hose goes where.

Firstly, I need to know where these two guys are supposed to run to:

Is there a diagram somewhere that would show me where ever line and vacuum hose goes to and from the carb? That's what I've been looking for and cannot find.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM.

Here ya go.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Those are vent lines. The hoses typically run up and simply lay on top of the airbox somewhere.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Vents? They literally dump fuel when I open up the petcock. Something must be wrong with the carbs then?

Thank you SO much Larry. My google-fu was failing me, as I've been looking for days.

Comment

You're welcome.

The carbs will more than likely need new orings, you can find most of the info on rebuilding the carbs here. If you find that your petcock is faulty, it's best to buy a new one, vice trying to rebuild it, IMHO.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
            Vents? They literally dump fuel when I open up the petcock. Something must be wrong with the carbs then?

Thank you SO much Larry. My google-fu was failing me, as I've been looking for days.
            If you're referring to the 2 vent lines spilling gas then check 2 things. Check the petcock because it's a vacuum type(if it's stock) and without the bike cranking over should not let gas through unless you have it on PRI (prime). Regardless, the float valves in the carb bowls should stop the flow of gas if they are seating properly. Sometimes when carbs have sat for awhile or have been rebuilt and laying on their sides the float valve doesn't seat correctly on 1 or more of the carbs. If you tap the sides of each carb bowl carefully with a block of wood and hammer (gentle) it may seat them. This has worked for me. Otherwise you'll need to pull the carbs apart and check and clean...and if they've been on the bike in this condition, be sure to check your oil to see if gas has leaked into the cylinders and down into the crankcase, thinning it out and eventually causing lubrication problems and maybe a decomposing oil filter.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Basscliff should be along shortly with your welcome page but its pretty typical to do a complete cleaning of the carbs. Its not as intimidating as one might think.
              Hang around and ask a lot of questions. You'll be riding that bike before springtime.

In the meantime...

sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Krunk Kracker,

Perhaps I can help get you started with your basic maintenance needs. First, check out this article: Where Do These Hoses Go?

Then check out the links below in your "mega-welcome" for lots more GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"Before I got it, he took the carbs somewhere and had them rebuilt."

Be afraid, very afraid! There's a good chance this was done poorly and you will have to sort it out. What others have said is dead on- petcock in "ON" or "RES" position should not let fuel flow to carbs with motor off. Check this by pulling off fuel line to carbs and observing as you fiddle with lever.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yup, those two Lines go straight up Over-top of the Airbox, then hook Downward.
                    (they DONT go over the airbox with the filter in it, they just Hoop over the first Wide airbox, there's kind of two grooves they sort of fit on.)

I would go with a relatively flexible and THIN hose, because I made the mistake of buying super expensive hydraulic hose, and it's very hard and thick. So yeah....get some thin gas-hose, lol.

They tend to get in the way a little bit when your re-installing the carb rack on the bike, so ya gotta be able to easily move them a little bit, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      They tend to get in the way a little bit when your re-installing the carb rack on the bike, so ya gotta be able to easily move them a little bit, haha.
                      Which reminds me, install those lines along with the fuel line before ya install the carbs. Depending on the setup of the bike they can be a PITA to install after the carbs and airbox air mounted.
                      Dont ask me how I know...
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Never trust PO's
                        Go throught the carbs yourself. There is a carb rebuild page off the home page of this site.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry for making this thread and then not replying. Had to take care of some things that took my attention off the bike. I didn't have any place to work on it at first, as it was at my dads place and he lives 45 minutes a way. The bike has since been moved to my buddies house who lives 5 minutes away, so it's MUCH more accessible now. We have air tools and what not there, which is why it is there and not at my place

Anyhow, I didn't check this thread before we started working on the bike last night, but we got it put back together.

This being a learning experience for me, I did not know that you can't just run a line to the carb and try to crank it. It dumped out of the vents like previously mentioned. There's isn't a vacuum line for the petcock, so I'm going to have to track one down for that. If I need to get a new petcock or a rebuild kit, where can I get one? I'm having a hard time tracking down a online store that carries that sort of thing.

Now, to backtrack this thread and read all the links. Thanks!

Comment

Have you looked at Z1 Enterprises yet?
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Have you looked at Z1 Enterprises yet?
                              I have not, but it looks like google pointed me in the right direction., Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X