Mac Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
    Was your grandpappy a horse trader by any chance?
    No sir.

Like I said, let me know. A friend of mine wants a V&H for his '78 GS750.

Comment

I purchased a MAC 2 into 1 for my '81 450T. I've had it for a year now and the the header started to rust within 6 months. I don't care for the "tinny" sound they make, but others have said they think it sounds good.

If I were to do it over again I would have painted it before I installed it. I purchased a DEI wrap kit for the header. I am going to sand and paint it with Rust-oleum High heat then wrap. I am also planning to replace the silencer with a Supertrapp racing series so I can tune the sound.

The system cost around $300. I would have rather found a used header; coated it, and then purchased a silencer. Overall I don't think they're worth it.

Comment

I put a MAC on a CM400A and the FIRST ride I took the paint fell off the header and in a week it started to rust. 20 miles and that's it. Terrible sounding, I had to stuff fiberglass inside to pass the noise test for registration. The baffle is removeable and it rattled a lot. I had to rig it with wire on the inside to stop rattles.

I approached MAC about getting a new header and got the run around. After a few weeks I gave up. Sold the bike eventually. I repainted the tube with BBQ paint.

If they were 100 bucks they would be priced about right. But they are chinese made (that's what the unhelpful lady from MAC told me on the phone) and vary in assembly quality. If you compare three headers you will see major differences in alignment, weld quality, and bends.

The JAMA is a work of art. Worth every penny.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks to all for their inputs. Looks like it'll be the Marshall.

Now to pray for a sizable income tax refund!

Comment

Wel, let me know what you want for the V&H, wis...

Comment

Working...
            X