I cleaned my carbs and now have High Rev at Idel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cleaned my carbs and now have High Rev at Idel

To start these are the specs for my carbs..

1980 GS850GT Carburetor Specs
    Unit of Measurement = mm(in.)

Carburetor type = Mikuni BS32SS
    Bore Size = 32 (1.26)
    I.D. No. = 45110
    Idle rpm = 1050 +/- 100rpm
    Fuel Level = 5.0 +/- 0.5 (0.20 +/- 0.02)
    Float Height = 22.4 +/- 1.0 (0.88 +/- 0.04)
    Main Jet = #115
    Main Air Jet = 1.7
    Jet Needle = 5D50
    Needle Jet = X-5
    Pilot Jet = #40
    Bypass = 1.0, 0.8, 0.8
    Pilot Outlet = 0.7
    Valve Seat = 2.0
    Starter Jet = #32.5
    Pilot Screw = Preset
    Throttle cable play = 0.5-1.0 (0.02-0.04)

Ok, now you know what carbs I have. I got the 1980 GS550E 3 days ago from a friend that has had it for 2 years and has tried to get the stock carbs to work. When I got the bike the carbs were leaking fuel and no fuel was getting to the engine.

I completely clean the cabs. I have soaked every part in Chem Dip and reassembled. I put on new O-rings and gaskets. I also made sure the manifold O-rings are ing good shape. The bike now starts and runs but it idels around 4-5 thousand RPM. I am not sure that I set the pilot jet correctly(The pilot jet that is in the float bowl compartment) . I just bottomed them out and then put the plug back in...Is that correct? I have the Air Screw (the one on top of the carb) set 1.6 turns out. The idle screw is backed almost all the way out.

Please help. I have tried searchinf the thread but could not find the info. I am pretty sure that I am getting to much fuel I just dont know how to fix it.

Also I do know that the throttle linkage is not to tight, that part is fine. One more question, is the air jet that is on the airbox side of each carb need to be bottomed out or does it need to be backed off as well?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM.

Originally posted by tsabadlk View Post
    To start these are the specs for my carbs..

1980 GS850GT Carburetor Specs
    Unit of Measurement = mm(in.)

Carburetor type = Mikuni BS32SS
    Bore Size = 32 (1.26)
    I.D. No. = 45110
    Idle rpm = 1050 +/- 100rpm
    Fuel Level = 5.0 +/- 0.5 (0.20 +/- 0.02)
    Float Height = 22.4 +/- 1.0 (0.88 +/- 0.04)
    Main Jet = #115
    Main Air Jet = 1.7
    Jet Needle = 5D50
    Needle Jet = X-5
    Pilot Jet = #40
    Bypass = 1.0, 0.8, 0.8
    Pilot Outlet = 0.7
    Valve Seat = 2.0
    Starter Jet = #32.5
    Pilot Screw = Preset
    Throttle cable play = 0.5-1.0 (0.02-0.04)

Ok, now you know what carbs I have. I got the 1980 GS550E 3 days ago from a friend that has had it for 2 years and has tried to get the stock carbs to work. When I got the bike the carbs were leaking fuel and no fuel was getting to the engine.

I completely clean the cabs. I have soaked every part in Chem Dip and reassembled. I put on new O-rings and gaskets. I also made sure the manifold O-rings are ing good shape. The bike now starts and runs but it idels around 4-5 thousand RPM. I am not sure that I set the pilot jet correctly(The pilot jet that is in the float bowl compartment) . I just bottomed them out and then put the plug back in...Is that correct? I have the Air Screw (the one on top of the carb) set 1.6 turns out. The idle screw is backed almost all the way out.

Please help. I have tried searchinf the thread but could not find the info. I am pretty sure that I am getting to much fuel I just dont know how to fix it.

Also I do know that the throttle linkage is not to tight, that part is fine. One more question, is the air jet that is on the airbox side of each carb need to be bottomed out or does it need to be backed off as well?

Thanks

check your throttle cable it may be maladjusted or caught up in the twist grip housing

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      check your throttle cable it may be maladjusted or caught up in the twist grip housing
      Yes, this. Also set your pilot screws to 2.5 turns.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Also, check your intake boots for sealing. If they're leaking (airbox boots as well), this will cause an uncontrollable high idle. Did you replace the o-rings on them (intake side only)?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          Throttle cable it good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Yes, this. Also set your pilot screws to 2.5 turns.
            you are talking about the pilot screw in the float bowl that has the rubber plug on top of it right?

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Also, check your intake boots for sealing. If they're leaking (airbox boots as well), this will cause an uncontrollable high idle. Did you replace the o-rings on them (intake side only)?
              I did pull the intake boots and looked over them very well. There are no pin holes at all. I look at the O-ring and they are in great shape.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! keep it coming. I have the carbs pulled now and have the float bowls off. I think I need to turn the pilot screws in the float bowl (the one that has the rubber plug on top of it) 2.5 turns out correct?

Also does the Air Jet on the air box side of each carb need to be back out so far or set all the way in?
                Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azr
                  Ok, it's probably just me but I'm a little confused. You posted the specs for an 80 850GT but say your bike is an 80 550E. As for the 'pilot screw' you have it right, under the rubber plug.
                  Ya sorry the carb specs are correct though

Comment

Does the main jet need to be back out at all also? What about the Air Jet?

Comment

The pilot jets are in the carbs, under the rubber plug. These jets need to be fully tightened (snug). The pilot (air) screws are on top of the carbs, in the front. Those are adjustable screws that need to be set to roughly 2.5 turns from lightly seated.

Regarding the intake boot O-rings, if you didn't replace them they are sure to leak - causing a high idle.

Last edited by Nessism; 12-28-2010, 05:53 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The pilot jets are in the carbs, under the rubber plug. These jets need to be fully tightened (snug). The pilot screws are on top of the carbs, in the front. Those are adjustable screws that need to be set to roughly 2.5 turns from lightly seated.

Regarding the intake boot O-rings, if you didn't replace them they are sure to leak - causing a high idle.
                        Thanks for clearing that up Nessism as I was almost confused since I remembered being told to seat the jets.
                        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Some of the 850's and 1000's have two places to hook up the throttle cable in the twist grip. One of them will not allow the throttle to return all the way. I recently made this error when assembling it without good lighting. It idled at about 5000 RPM.

I don't think air leaks are going to cause this amount of fast idle, and still beleive that there is likely a throttle return issue.

I was looking into a starter switch problem, which turned out to be a caused by kill switch wire pinched in the fork stop, which severed the conductors.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ya thanks for clearing that up Ed. Helps when you get the right information.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Did you bench synch the throttles when reassembling? If they are badly adjusted, they might remain open without any pressure from the idle screw.

Also the throttle line might seem fine, but if it jumped the track it will not allow the slides to close. IIRC that is what happened to 850 Combat. There was a picture in this forum of the stray cable. If I can find that thread, I'll link it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X