Gas tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank question

ok, I am new here. I have an 82 GS1100GK....minus the K.
    I posted some pics in the introduction area.

Here is my question. For an '82 that has not been running, the tank really looks pretty good. Definitely better than a lot of the bikes I have owned. But I want to ride this bike for a while...so heres the deal. There is some rust in the tank. It is very mild...in fact doesnt look so much like rust as it looks like rust colored paint, or better description might be like a rust color slime or something like that.

There are not spots that appear to have pitted the tank, or anything like that...so do I do anything about this? Do I need to do the whole line the tank and all that jazz? I just dont have a lot of background with tanks. Thanks.

One person's description of "very mild rust" will vary quite a bit from the next two.

If you can get a picture through the fill hole, it will show things a bit better.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Me, I'd pull the petcock off, stick my finger thru and see if this area felt ok. With any luck, no moisture collected here , so maybe slosh some gas/oil mix around to remove the rusty slime.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

My personal experience is documented on my little website:

Tank Cleaning: with Evapo-Rust

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X