Ok, so I got the pipes off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I got the pipes off...

...and now I have to get 'em back onto my '83 850L. Other than space to work under the bike, my current problem is getting the balance pipe snug into those sidetrack pipes from the muffler/outside header pipes. For some reason the clamps seem too big now to squeeze the female end over the male/balance end. When I tighten the clamps I run out of screw and the clamps are still loose. I can't figger what changed since I took 'em off. The balance pipes were wrapped with something, I suppose to make for a snug fit, but there's something else going on because the tape wasn't nearly thick enough to make the difference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Been years...But .....

There were some tub gaskets in the pipes to make up the space that are fairly think and heavy ... You are saying "wrapped"... The tub gasket was not a wrap ... But one peace and made of some sort of mesh and were gray ... Wondering if the tub gasket is gone and some sort of wrap was used ... I would think some sort of header wrap would work in a pinch ...

And yes there should be a gasket in there ..

Hope you get it fixed and sorry on the troubles

David

Hazardous Toys inc

Comment

Thanks, David...I peeled one of the "wraps" off another side and it looked like heavy tape of some kind, like that rough electrician's tape, about 1 1/2" wide. Not enough thickness to account for the disparity, though. When I get home I'm gonna check and see if I flipped the balance pipe...maybe the front/back pipes are different diameter? I dunno, it's weird (but probably obvious to someone who knows what they're doing).

Comment

I guess I need "exhaust gaskets". Just needed to choose my search words better.

Thanks to azr for posting the linked pics.

Comment

Yeah, you need the exhaust gaskets. They're akin to gold plated titanium in price. When I bought mine I was taken a bit aback by the prices. Sticker shock will slam dunk you, I guarantee that. Some PO might have put electrical tape on the ferrules because of the prices or just didn't know any better. Electrical tape doesn't work too well with exhaust heat......

Comment

Exhaust "connectors", upon further searching. Found Redman's tutorial thanks to Basscliff...kf anyone could point me in the right direction to price (gulp) the oems...?

Comment

I would go back to Basscliff's welcome page and look at all the vendors he recommends there. You'll find differing prices but probably in the vicinity of $25 each.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

For just a little less money, you can eliminate the crossover entirely.

I had to do that to an 850 I had for a while. The crossover was rusted away at one of the outlets.

I went to the auto parts store, got 1 1/2" exhaust tubing, the kind that is expanded slightly at one end. The shortest I could find was 18" long, you only need 7". You would think that you could get by with one piece of tubing, and you could, if you had a pipe expander. I got two pieces of tubing for $6.99 each.

You have to cut a slit on the larger end so the clamp can squeeze it a bit, but I did not need any gaskets with that.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  For just a little less money, you can eliminate the crossover entirely.

I had to do that to an 850 I had for a while. The crossover was rusted away at one of the outlets.
                  "For just a little less money..." Har har....

Thank you very much, Steve...I'm gonna check this out. It would be way easier to put back on since I'm working alone and on the floor (and without much knowlege...I pretty much have to reinvent the wheel for each task.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    I would go back to Basscliff's welcome page and look at all the vendors he recommends there. You'll find differing prices but probably in the vicinity of $25 each.
                    Thanks...I did look through the vendors, got bogged down in part numbers and choices and terminology. Thought maybe someone could point me to a particular vendor etc. I'll slog on...

Comment

I use Parts Shark for many of my OEM parts. I believe you are needing item #6 as shown on the attached fiche.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Sweet...thank you kindly, HikerMikem...

Comment

No problem - I think I would give some thought to Steve's suggestion to simply replace that funky middle connector piece.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'm definitely going to try that one; love the idea of putting the L and R side on separately without having to line up the balancer and jig everything correctly and then tighten up etc...

Comment

Jim,
                              I look at a lot of different vendors but typically go with either Z1 or my local shop since my military ID discount puts them on par with what everyone else charges with shipping. But again, take a look as Steve's noted on other posts that one shop will be cheaper than another on any given day for any given part. Plus, unless you hit someplace like BikeBandit (I think it's them), most everyone has the same part number for the same thing.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X