Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I dry out my carbs after cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I dry out my carbs after cleaning?

I've got my first carb sitting in the Berryman dip bath and am starting ot dismantle the second one.

I was curious what is suggested for drying the carbs out once they've been removed form the dip. Do I use oil? water?

I stripped my gas tank down and washed that off with water inside and out, and although I tried to dry with compressed air I still got a lot of rust forming on the inside of the tank (which causes me some worry when it comes to the carbs). I wasn't worried about the gas tank because I've got the POR-15 sitting here and still plan on doing a complete rust cleaning but I sure don't want to mess with the carbs.

Any thoughts/best practices???

Thanks.

I spray mine with carb cleaner to finish the bodies off. I also spray through all the ports to make sure they are clear. The pilot air jet should blow out the pilot jet port and the main air jet should blow out the main jet port.
    Make sure the brass float tube that goes into the float bowl is clear.
    Spray through the idle mixture screw port and is should come through a tiny hole in the venturi.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Same here, carb cleaner to spray out all the passages.

Sometimes I wear saftey glasses, sometimes I don't.

The first time I wish I had.

Comment

I hear that compressed air is good too.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I get carbs out of the dip, I rinse them with HOT water. Before they dry completely, I spray all the internal passages with carb cleaner spray, followed by compressed air. By the time I am done, they are dry and clean.

Safety glasses should NOT be an option here.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            When I get carbs out of the dip, I rinse them with HOT water. Before they dry completely, I spray all the internal passages with carb cleaner spray, followed by compressed air. By the time I am done, they are dry and clean.

So we cannot wear safety glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              So we cannot wear safety glasses?
              just your bifocals!
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Maybe I should have said "Safety glasses should not be optional"?

They are your eyes, treat them how you want, I'm just trying to warn you.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

This is what I do too. (Hint: read the instructions on the can...)

A lot of rinsing is the best way to get all the nasty dip off the carbs, and there's no need to waste three or four cans or carb cleaner on this. The zinc alloy carb bodies and brass hardware won't rust.

Blow out the passages after the water bath with compressed air and yer done!
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I hear that compressed air is good too.

LOL, yup.

I wash with a tooth brush, soap and water then the carb cleaner. Then compressed air.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

What Steve said - hot water, followed by carb cleaner to all passages, followed by compressed air.

When you spray the carb cleaner in a passage, make sure it comes out ALL the various exit points. Many passages have more than one.

Comment

In theory you could pee on them.

Comment

Working...
                        X