D & D exhaust quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D & D exhaust quality?

I'm looking for a good exhaust for my Katana 1100 build. Its gona have GSXR suspension so I need some ground clearance.

Anyone able to tell me if D&D make a quality product? Obviously they are a cheap price, but are the comparable with the MAC products?

Here is the 4-2-1 I'm looking at.

I'm also looking at this V&H stainless 4-2-1, but it doesn't look like it would be much help to me on the ground clearance front.

The muffler itself isn't a big concern for me, i plan on using my mint supertrap can I have for a more vintage look.

if you are looking for ground clearance get a V+H or a STAR sidewinder
    Last edited by Agemax; 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I have a D&D 4:2:1 header for a 1st Gen 1100 and it hangs a little lower (space between header and oil pan) on my GS 1100 ED than two other headers (Hindle 4:2:1, Muzzy 4:1). However, it is 4:2:1 and is not lower than a 4:1 and provides clearance for both oil pan and oil filter removal.

Of the 2nd Gen 1100 pipes I have seen they hang even lower, and have the potential for hitting the cross piece below the exhaust ports. That being said, A V&H 4:1 for GS1100E 80-83 is a pretty tight fit to the oil pan.

Given your choices I would go for the D&D. It will not have an issue with the cross brace and it will give the enhanced mid range.

PM me your e-mail if you want to see picks of a few of these 1st gen 1100 GSXR pipes some mounted to a GS1100ED.

Comment

If it's in the budget I would go with the V&H. D&D from what I have heard are very loud

Comment

D&D is crap in terms of sound and IMHO, quality. dont like em, never will. I cant even GIVE the headers away for them.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
            I cant even GIVE the headers away for them.

Sure ya can, want my address??

As I said, the pipe I'll be using is a vintage supertrap. The sound associated with D&D should be nullified

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              if you are looking for ground clearance get a V+H or a STAR sidewinder

The V&H that I showed is a 4-2-1 but they stack up the pipes which I would think decreases the ground clearance gain I would normally be looking at.

I do like the thought of stainless, but its no better when its grinding off the road....

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                The V&H that I showed is a 4-2-1 but they stack up the pipes which I would think decreases the ground clearance gain I would normally be looking at.

I do like the thought of stainless, but its no better when its grinding off the road....
                NO, google sidewinder, the exhaust comes right across the side of the bike, hence the name. nothing underneath the frame tubes
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

NO, google sidewinder, the exhaust comes right across the side of the bike, hence the name. nothing underneath the frame tubes
                  Thats great if you only turn left. I think I would have lots of clearance issues on the right hand side would I not?

Comment

Thats great if you only turn left. I think I would have lots of clearance issues on the right hand side would I not?
                    my mate has one on his road going 1100 and he has no problems, and he rides like a loony!
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

my mate has one on his road going 1100 and he has no problems, and he rides like a loony!

Good to know, I'll look into them than. I'm only really looking for a header anyway, I'm not a fan of the look of the sidewinder, a bit of an upsweep would look much better IMO

Comment

If you're leaning that far right, we need to get you onto the circuit!!!

JK. In my experience (limited by some) I ten to lean hard to the left. Others tend to lean harder to the right, so, it all depends on your riding style.

IMHO V&H pipes sound the best (after market) followed by Hindle.

The rest are in order of your wallet.

My .02

Comment

A sidewinder would most definitely scrape on the RH side, esp. with the lowered stance after the GSXR conversion, IMHO.
                          Also, if you have performed any mods at all to the engine, it will take quite a bit of trial & error to get a disc-type Supertrapp to flow acceptably....good quality pipes, but not the best if one is looking to match the flow of say a performance Bassani, Yosh etc.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                            A sidewinder would most definitely scrape on the RH side, esp. with the lowered stance after the GSXR conversion, IMHO.
                            I know in the Honda world the CB1100F guys have complained about right side clearance on the sidewinders and they have loads of ground clearance on those bikes.

Comment

Working...
                            X