Fuel hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel hose

this may seem trivial but whats the best trick to refitting a rubber fuel hose onto the brass nipple of the petcock, mine seems too tight to get over the initial part, i suspect its dried up and shrunk is there any quick

thanks

try warming it up in hot water. it makes it more malleable
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I just replaced mine it's real easy and cheap that way I know its a nice new hose with no leaks

Comment

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post
        this may seem trivial but whats the best trick to refitting a rubber fuel hose onto the brass nipple of the petcock, mine seems too tight to get over the initial part, i suspect its dried up and shrunk is there any quick

thanks
        If the hose is "dried up and shrunk" don't you think it's time to replace it?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If the hose is "dried up and shrunk" don't you think it's time to replace it?
          There you go again, attempting to apply common sense.
          Just replace it, it is inexpensive and will last many trouble-free miles. Much better than having it give way during a ride.

Comment

Wasn't there a story here recently of a bike that had the fuel line leak, leading to the whole bike burning on the side of the road?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

And, while you are getting new fuel line, get the proper stuff.

The "proper stuff" is not available at Auto Zone.

Contact any of the OEM vendors that are commonly used (you can find a mostly-complete list on BassCliff's site), order some fuel line.
              Don't be put off by the price, which will be close to $20. You will get about six feet of hose,
              which is about six times as much as you need, but is so useful.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What's wrong with generic fuel hose?
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

The fuel line at VatoZone is in English units, e.g. 5/16", 3/8".
                  You really need metric fuel line.
                  I believe stock is 7mm.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                    What's wrong with generic fuel hose?
                    Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    The fuel line at VatoZone is in English units, e.g. 5/16", 3/8".
                    You really need metric fuel line.
                    True enough. The proper line for our GSes is 7 mm, even though the part number in the fiche shows it as 6.5 mm. At Auto Zone, you will find 1/4" and 5/16" as likely candidates (the 3/8" is way too big). The 1/4" is 6.25 mm, but is very thick and reinforced for withstanding fuel injector pressures, so it does NOT stretch. The 5/16" is 8 mm, so you will need a clamp to keep it from leaking. OEM 7 mm hose is single-thickness, thin-wall tubing that slides over the fittings oh-so-nicely and does not really need a clamp.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Use the Auto Zone hose and use the money saved to buy something else.

Check Nopi, they may have the "correct" hose.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        Use the Auto Zone hose and use the money saved to buy something else.
                        Maybe one of the things you can buy with that "saved money" would be Band-Aids,
                        for covering the cuts from playing with the clamps you will have to use with the larger hose.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks i was just going to ask the hose width, ill go with 7mm as the old one was tight as a vice without clamps.

Comment

Actually, if you use the spring type clamps, US standard fuel tubing works just fine on my bike. There is plenty of room for routing the lines and the clamps work just fine. Clamps are less then .50 at my local hardware store. I really don't mind paying more if I understand the difference in value and it is meaningful to me. If it is important to use original, metric tubing bu all means do so. The 1/4" tubing sold at your local auto store will work just fine in a lot of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Maybe one of the things you can buy with that "saved money" would be Band-Aids,
                              Good idea. Need some more since I used em up while installing the carb boot clamps on the 650.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X