Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draining fuel tank on GS750

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to drain the fuel tank on my GS750 (preferably with out removing it). I've done this on my other bikes, but this is the first bike I've had where the petcock does not have an "Off" position.

From reading around, it kinda sounds like with out a vacuum on the line fuel will not flow with the lever in the "On" position. So I should be able to pull the fuel line, then turn the petcock to Prime, right? I'd like to make sure of this before I end up with a big mess on my hand.

Thank you,
    Matthew

That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      That is correct.
      That's gotta be the fastest reply I've ever had on a forum (and I practically live on forums)

Thanks!

Comment

No problem.

Be careful unless you are positive that the petcock is working as is should be.

Comment

Worked perfect, thanks again

Comment

So follow up question, I see replacement of the petcock recommended a lot on here. As far as I know mine is a original 1977 part. However, it worked fine during this procedure (meaning it didn't let fuel flow except for on prime) and there's no fuel in the vacuum line. So I should be OK right?

Comment

Yea you should. Just keep in mind that if you start seeing fuel leak from the carbs you may be looking a petcock issue since the floats aren't designed to stop fuel.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Firewall View Post
                So follow up question, I see replacement of the petcock recommended a lot on here. As far as I know mine is a original 1977 part. However, it worked fine during this procedure (meaning it didn't let fuel flow except for on prime) and there's no fuel in the vacuum line. So I should be OK right?
                Replacement is recommended if you are having problems with it. Unless you know the complete history of the bike in detail, that part may have already been replaced or repaired prior to your ownership without your being aware of it. Unless you can condemn a part without question, using proper troubleshooting methods, why replace it? You gain nothing and only lose money on the deal.

Comment

Cowboy..Just an FYI here`. If the needle valve seats and needle valve themselves are in good shape and the float height is properly set, then yes in fact the fuel should be shut off by the needle valves.. thats a basic function in any carb with a float. Thats what its designed to do. It sounds as if the petcock is operating properly. One test i do is to have about a gallon of fuel in the tank. Be sure the petcok is completely wiped dry. Put the petcock in the ON position and set it on a clean piece of cardboard. Let it set for about an hr. and then check for any wetness under the petcock.If its dry then the diaphram is sealing the flow properly..if its wet then you can purchase a rebuild kit from several sources. The thing is that you want to be sure the petcock and needle valves are doing their jobs in concert to prevent slow leakage of raw fuel into the crankcase and contaminating the oil.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hmm. I kind of wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago. I had to drain my tank the hard way by turning it over and spilling it into a funnel. I tried putting it on prime to drain but I didn't get anything.

Comment

If you put it on prime and nothing came out then there was something wrong with the petcock.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        If you put it on prime and nothing came out then there was something wrong with the petcock.
                        Ive heard that some of the petcocks require a tiny pit of vacuum on prime to get it started.

Comment

Cowboy..Just an FYI here`. If the needle valve seats and needle valve themselves are in good shape and the float height is properly set, then yes in fact the fuel should be shut off by the needle valves.. thats a basic function in any carb with a float. Thats what its designed to do. It sounds as if the petcock is operating properly. One test i do is to have about a gallon of fuel in the tank. Be sure the petcok is completely wiped dry. Put the petcock in the ON position and set it on a clean piece of cardboard. Let it set for about an hr. and then check for any wetness under the petcock.If its dry then the diaphram is sealing the flow properly..if its wet then you can purchase a rebuild kit from several sources. The thing is that you want to be sure the petcock and needle valves are doing their jobs in concert to prevent slow leakage of raw fuel into the crankcase and contaminating the oil.
                          Thanks Chuck.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

How does that make sense..the purpose of the prime feature is if the bike is totally out of gas or the carbs are being put back on and the bowls are dry..you need a way to PRIME them without vaccuum..If theres no fuel in the tank or carbs then you in cant start the bike like say on the side of a road and your out and someone stops and gives you some gas..At that point just how do you suspect you can apply a vaccum to get it started??? It should flow freely on prime without any assist from anything..thats how it works. Prime= free flow of fuel WITHOUT any vaccuum required..ON = fuel flow ONLY while engine running to supply vaccuum..Resereve = sama as on.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

How does that make sense..the purpose of the prime feature is if the bike is totally out of gas or the carbs are being put back on and the bowls are dry..you need a way to PRIME them without vaccuum..If theres no fuel in the tank or carbs then you in cant start the bike like say on the side of a road and your out and someone stops and gives you some gas..At that point just how do you suspect you can apply a vaccum to get it started??? It should flow freely on prime without any assist from anything..thats how it works. Prime= free flow of fuel WITHOUT any vaccuum required..ON = fuel flow ONLY while engine running to supply vaccuum..Resereve = sama as on.
                              I suspect it was a design flaw? Anyways its just what I heard.

Also in normal circumstances the starter will produce enough of this allegedly required vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X