Carb sync with vacuum cleaner (hoover)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync with vacuum cleaner (hoover)?

May sound stupid but I'm sure someone has tried - Could you sync carbs with a a vacuum cleaner? Obviously you couldn't use one to get the mixture perfect but you could use the constant vacuum to get the carbs in close alignment (or would that annoying fuel screw foil my cunning plan?).

If not, I'm willing to be the test 'dummy' and try it out.

Uuhhmmmmm.

No.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

cool idea

not sure if it would work as it would mean that a vacuum cleaner sould supply an equal amount of vacuum to each carb, whilst these GS Engines even if very carefully built ( rebuilt) would have slight differences in actual vacuum between the cylinders. Syncronising the carbs individually takes these differences into account and that is why sometimes there are differences in the position of the butterflys between the carbs.

I think it would be great to have a set up where you can get a basic setting using a vacuum cleaner so you can do a very close to perfect syncro so one does not have to take a long time to do a carb sync.

Comment

One more reason it won't work:
        Using a single vacuum source and a plenum to split it to all four carbs would have the same vacuum level at all points.

As Rhodesia Smith mentioned, you are actually synchronising to the differences in each individual vacuum source (cylinder).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could possibly get all four carbs flowing the same amount of air but there could still be differences between the cylinders. Interesting thought.

Comment

It could probably clean your air filter.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

If you've got VM carbs you can use a set of calipers if you're looking for a way to balance the carbs and haven't got the gauges.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i like 1948man reply............. " could probably clean your airfilter"

ha ha i wonder if anybody got it- i didn't at the time

Comment

Working...
                X