carb screw tuning question - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lots of white smoke

so i have tinkered with it to the point where when it starts it will idle when the choke is all the way on. but after about 10 sec of idle (choke still on) it starts to POUR thick white smoke out where the headers meet the engine (where they are bolted on)

several screws are stripped out on the header so obviously they are not on tight enough. that is not my concern though. what im confused about is what is causing the thick white smoke?

my fuel screws on my carb. are about one 360 degree turn out. and about 1.25 turns out on the air screws. i have the air screws more-closed than normal to compensate for not having any air filter on the carbs. (too much air). & also why the fuel screws are slightly more open than usual.

i have also sprayed a little WD-40 into the spark plug holes onto the pistons to clean and lube them. (hopefully not a mistake)

The bike is a restoration so it hasnt run in over a year. and its only been in MY possession for 6 months. could there just be dirt, dust, and fluids that its burning off? or is this a mixture problem? burning oil somehow? i dont really know where to start this is my first restore. sorry!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

sorry

so i hate to publicly answer my own question but i just realized alot of the smoke is coming from the outside surface of the engine. especially the bottom of the oil pan where theres a large buildup of gunk, dirt, oil, & whatever else. and the more i run it the less smoke seems to come from the headers. hopefully it just burning off old stuff? any more imput would be welcome though

Sorry & Thanks ~ Nate

Comment

Working...
      X