GS850 Carb Upgrade Worth The Time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Carb Upgrade Worth The Time??

I have come to decision making time regarding carbs for my project. I have the stock 32mm Mikuni's that came off the 850 but I also have a set of 34mm's on the shelf waiting for something to do. The thing is I have to invest some $$ into either rebuilding the 32's or in the correct boots/holders for the 34's. Both options come out about even in the overall cost but I'm wondering if there is a huge difference with the larger carbs?
    Also- Any idea on re-jetting either set of carbs for 4 to 1 headers and pod filters?

Thanks!

rebuilding carbs is usually a very small investment... Around 20 bucks for all you need from cycleorings.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      rebuilding carbs is usually a very small investment... Around 20 bucks for all you need from cycleorings.com
      Plus a can of Carb Cleaner to soak the carbs in.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Plus a can of Carb Cleaner to soak the carbs in.
        And occasionally if you're unlucky, a new float bowl gasket if you rip one.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I understand the cost of rebuilding is nominal but having an already re-worked set of 34's staring me in the face has me thinking about the time involved with the rebuild etc. I will have to buy new holders (boots whatever) regardless of which set I go with, just wondering why I'm not seeing more people moving towards larger carbs? Seems like a no-brainer to me...is it a waste of time? I can't be the first knucklehead to consider this...I'd hate to waste $$ on boots and get no improvement from the bigger carbs.

I guess I could always brag about the extra 2mm's I'm packing right?
          Thanks guys!

Comment

I dont really know what the performance implications are for bigger carbs, but the time it takes to rebuild the stock set will likely be significantly less then the time it would take to properly tune the larger set.

Comment

If the bike is stock except for the 2mm over carbs you may increase some top end but lose bottom end.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry I should have mentioned that (I'm new here) I have 4 to 1 headers and I'm planning on running pod filters with the whole set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by forenglishpressone View Post
                  Sorry I should have mentioned that (I'm new here) I have 4 to 1 headers and I'm planning on running pod filters with the whole set-up.
                  Then you're gonna need the Dynojet jet kit. If you do these things to the 32's that came on the bike it'll be all you need.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

And the boots are the same for the 32s and 34s

Comment

Looks like everyone's leaning towards keeping the 32's in the mix...

IYO would the 34's require a re-jet most likely too?

I get stuck on bigger being better.....

Comment

Personally, there was a lot of design thought that went into putting specific carbs into a bike, car, truck, whatever. That design allows your bike to produce specific results for its power. Honestly, IMHO, why frick around with that?
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well enough should never be left alone....Besides I'm stupid like that.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM. Reason: I had more to say...

Comment

You can get the 34s to work it will just be more trial and error using plug chops.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok here's where the noob in me comes out....What the H is a plug chop?

Comment

Working...
                              X