Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm up issue (guessing carbs?)

1983 Gs450GAD
    Bike runs good but doesn"t seem to warm up until you run it at 45 and up for a bit. (gets hot but still seems to bog till you run it on the back roads or highway)
    Anyone have an idea what this could be? Bike runs great other than that. I know they tend to be cold blooded but idling it in the driveway even in summer heat still bogs even if i run it for a bit

thanks

Have the carbs been properly cleaned and synced, valves adjusted, plugs replaced, etc? Are you using the choke to warm it up?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As cowboyup is hinting, there are some basic issues that must be addressed to make sure your bike is set up correctly.

When all those items are set correctly, you should be able to start the bike and ride off within 30 seconds.
      By the time you are in second gear, you can turn off the "choke" and keep riding.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure you have the correct plug. Too cold of a plug can cause this, runs fine after the cylinder/head are hot. I fought this in a race car for a couple months then my engine guru told me to put 1 step hotter plug in; problem solved.
        Plus the maintenance items previously mentioned. It all has to work together.

Comment

carbs spotless and all lines and hoses newer. floats new too. filter new
          sparkplugs new. no fuel leaks either

never touched valves or synced carbs...
          always choke to start usually cut to half choke after 30 sec.

engine has good compression and everthing.

i have an hour ride to work (give or take) and idles great when i come to stop.

Comment

plug is correct heat range as recommended in owners manual

Comment

I would at least get the valves checked to start off...when you say the carbs are spotless, was that just a visual check or were they dipped for 24 hours and all passages sprayed with carb cleaner afterwards?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Long warm up times are a classic symptom of tight valves. If they are too tight for too long they will burn.

You received your "mega-welcome" in one of your first posts. But just in case you missed it....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. (You must address everything on these lists in order to have a safe, reliable, bullet-proof GS.) Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X