Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850G slid and won't start

Hey,

I slid my 1982 GS850G on some leaves and now it won't start. It is getting spark and fuel but it just turn over and every once in a while coughs. I thought it might be the timing. Any suggestions or ideas?

I also am trying to remove the carbs to get at the Tensioner but I can't get them off the boots after I loosened the Airbox and the hose clamps and Allen screws from the boots. Again any ideas?

Thank You.

Well I don't have an airbox on my bike (have individual PODS) but if the airbox is out of the way I would just wiggle the carb rack up and down until it comes free. I'm no expert. I'm guessing that by allen screws, you're referring to the screws in the ports used for vacuum syncing the carbs. Those don't have to be loosened to get the carbs out of the boots
    Last edited by 1948man; 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Col.Noon,

Check the voltage at the coils. Was there any physical damage to the engine covers (stator or ignition)? See the Air Intake Repair guide on my little website. You'll find ignition troubleshooting tips in the Electrical Odd and Ends section, plus a whole lot more GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness" the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys for the welcome and the advice. I'll try it out tonight and see what happens. It is getting spark though.

/Col. Noon

Comment

I'm guessing when you dumped the bike on its' side you put a lot of gas into the cylinders and you're doing a lot of extra work for nothing. Get everything put back together, DON'T mess with the timing chain tensioner, pull the spark plugs, dry them out, crank the engine over a few times to clear the fuel out. Put the plugs back in, choke it and start it. Been there, done that, didn't get a t-shirt.
          Make sure you get the airbox and carb boots sealed back up, or there are other problems that you'll discover.

Comment

Working...
          X