Got my jug of carb cleaner today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my jug of carb cleaner today

On the guide on this site it says to 'dip' the small parts. What are the small parts exactly? anything metallic thats not the bodys?

does this include the little filter piece that holds the needle jet, springs, choke/starter jet, and various screws and washers?

This is my first time and really dont want to mess it up.

Dip metal parts only. Nothing plastic or rubber. Allow the parts to soak for several hours, or long enough to remove the grunge.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Allow the parts to soak for several hours, or long enough to remove the grunge.
      Just keep in mind that "several hours" might range from 3-4 hours all the way to 24 hours, depending on how long it has been since the bike was running properly.

If the bike is a daily driver and runs well, and you are just going to freshen the carbs with new o-rings, a few hours for each carb (and its parts) will probably suffice. If it is a project bike and you have no idea how long it's been sitting, just go for the full day. Yeah, that's four full days of waiting for carb parts in "the dip", then part of another day re-assembling and tuning, but you will only have to do it ONCE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

its been sitting in a friend's back yard since '97

Im just a little nervous about a few pieces like the needle jet,choke needle, and the 2 or 3 springs and that really really small washer...

Comment

That's why there's a basket inside

Be sure the carb body goes in there
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I just finished mine yesterday. They had been sitting a LONG time, as in 3 bowls had a puddle of tar, and the 4th was rusty powder. Once I stripped all the parts off, I found that I could put 2 bodies in at a time, and didn't use the basket. Dip out enough solvent to cover the small parts and put it in a container, and let the basket hold everything. I think the solvent eats plastic, so I lined a Gladware container with foil. Don't put any plastic or rubber in there. If you have the black carbs like I do be prepared for some tedious stripping work and lots of re-soaking. It took me 4 evenings, and that includes refinishing and painting the tops and rails. The more you disassemble the cleaner everything will be. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Be sure the carb body goes in there
              I have one in there right now I can get the small stuff sorted out

Ill have pics of specific parts as soon as photobucket uploads them

Comment

Don't worry. The parts basket should have holes small enough to keep the small parts in it. You don't really have to soak the small air mix washer so you don't lose it.

Comment

I know I didnt mention the silver connectors in th OP, but they are also part of my concern
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Take the orings off before soaking them. Did you already get the replacement ones from cycleorings.com?
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

yessir, got them a couple days ago

Comment

And there should be a total of 4 o rings on those connectors

Comment

yeah, I was in the process of removing the old ones when i took the pic

Comment

I like to put the little stuff in the bowl, then put the bowl in the dip.
                            Like others have said, if it's metal, soak it.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

OK, inserting comments between the pictures:
                              Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
                              Remove the o-ring and the screen off the top.

No real need to dip any of these.

Do not dip this. There is an o-ring in the end of the plunger, around the small tip.
                              Not sure the o-ring is available anywhere. Just wipe the plunger, maybe use a Scotch-brite pad on it.

No real need to dip any of these, either, with the possible exception of the float valve. The little spring-loaded pin might be a bit sticky.

I know I didnt mention the silver connectors in th OP, but they are also part of my concern
                              Where are the rest of the parts? There should be an emulsion tube (also known as the needle jet), a main jet, a pilot fuel jet, a mixture adjustment screw and a pilot air jet. They also need to be removed from the body before "dipping". Yeah, they will get wet along with everything else, but they might prevent proper wetting of the passages behind them.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X