No announcement yet.

Got my jug of carb cleaner today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yeah, I have all those out with the exception of the pilot fuel jet on carb #1 (its stuck and I was told to soak it and it may come loose).

also, getting that screen off, how would I go about doing that? (and for some reason my o-ring kit didnt seem to come with those ones )

Comment

I don't think you need to take off the screen, it's a pretty big diameter tube If it's gummed up soak it in carb cleaner, which will be fine with that plastic part.

Comment

Cableguy is correct, the screens dont come off. But the o-ring does. The kit came with these o-rings.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          Cableguy is correct, the screens dont come off. But the o-ring does. The kit came with these o-rings.

really??!?!?!? I just finished my carb cleaning and the screens popped off easily... just use a flat head screwdriver in one of the notches and gently pry it off... maybe my carbs are just different ..

Comment

I use my pointy little scribe to poke into one of the notches in the outer rim of the screen holder. Yeah, they pop right off.
            You can also use the flat screwdriver that Mak suggested, or use the blade of a knife to get in there.

I was not sure about the durability of what appears to be nylon that holds the screen, so I popped them off.
            It also gives you the opportunity to spray carb cleaner in both directions through the screen to make sure it's clean.

You sure your kit did not come with those o-rings?
            I think they are usually labelled "Inlet Valve" o-rings or something like that.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve is right... the set from cycleorings does come with those o-rings. It's labeled: INLET VALVE SEAT (should be seaL, maybe ?!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mak View Post
                It's labeled: INLET VALVE SEAT (should be seaL, maybe ?!)

WHEEW! Its in there, I was just not looking for the right name.

And ill try to get the screen off using the screwdriver/knife method y'all mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
                  And ill try to get the screen off using the screwdriver/knife method y'all mentioned
                  Just be careful, about the time you think you finally have a bite on it and start to get an edge of your tool under the lip, it's ... well, ... it's gone.

Yep, although they are held rather securely, when they pop off, they go quickly.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

almost like its spring loaded kind of gone? or its broken gone?

Comment

Just spring loaded. I haven't broken one yet.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mak View Post
                        really??!?!?!? I just finished my carb cleaning and the screens popped off easily... just use a flat head screwdriver in one of the notches and gently pry it off... maybe my carbs are just different ..
                        Na, prolly not different. I just didn't see it necessary to remove em.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

sitting since 97..i would give each carb the full 24 hrs..but thats just my opinion.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                          X