Airbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox question

Is the hole in the middle of my cover normal or should I find something to plug it up with?

edit: I have seen pictures of this indirectly and it looks like most of them have some sort of closed hole there.

another edit(sorry, I'm still half asleep) : on the box after the filter, thats between this one and the carbs, there are 2 ports. One on top for the gas recycling thing, and one on the bottom. Any ideas on what the bottom one is for?

Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM.

The bottom nipple is a drain. Ray.

Comment

The bottom nipple should have a hose connected to it with a 1 way valve at the end to prevent dirty air from being sucked in. It is a thin nipple cap looking thing with a slit in it that is on the end of the hose. this lets fluids drain out but sucks closed when there is low pressure in the airbox. A typical check valve will not work the same.

The hole in the filterbox is not a problem as it is befor the filter. Any air comming in there would be filtered.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
        The bottom nipple should have a hose connected to it with a 1 way valve at the end to prevent dirty air from being sucked in. It is a thin nipple cap looking thing with a slit in it that is on the end of the hose. this lets fluids drain out but sucks closed when there is low pressure in the airbox. A typical check valve will not work the same.
        Damn.. Another thing the PO lost

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
        The hole in the filterbox is not a problem as it is befor the filter. Any air comming in there would be filtered.
        it actually goes through the filter.. like a bypass. pics in a minute....

and here they are:

the hole in question.

hole in center inside the filter

inside the filter box (the red is my shirt's reflection)

in other news I have decided my pinky only ever gets in the way... lol
        Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

OK, that would need to be plugged up then. Assuming that the air comes in through the channels and goes out to the carbs at the far end. You might look in the service manual to see if anything is supposed to go there. But I'm sure you should be able to find a rubber plug at the auto parts store to fit.

Comment

I was thinking about a small piece of gorilla tape. lol...
            the PO had some electrical tape just plastered all around it but not on it. very strange now that I think about it

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
              I was thinking about a small piece of gorilla tape. lol...
              the PO had some electrical tape just plastered all around it but not on it. very strange now that I think about it
              Just imagine what other "improvements" await you courtesy of PO! Get a pair of fender washers, add short bolt and some locktite.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Just imagine what other "improvements" await you courtesy of PO! Get a pair of fender washers, add short bolt and some locktite.
                this is actually what I was planning on doing.

improvements that Iv found so far include: slightly bent handle bars, really screwy headlight switch, brake lever has the end busted off, he used the wrong gasket on the valve cover making it spray out oil when it revved up, and dont even get me started on the seat... lol... thats all I have found so far.

Comment

this is actually what I was planning on doing.

improvements that Iv found so far include: slightly bent handle bars, really screwy headlight switch, brake lever has the end busted off, he used the wrong gasket on the valve cover making it spray out oil when it revved up, and dont even get me started on the seat... lol... thats all I have found so far.
                  When you get a new valve cover gasket, be aware that there are two different ones for the 650 - ebay sellers tend to gloss over this. Used switches are cheap- many models share them, just try to find one that has same plug to avoid cutting and splicing ( unless it's already been done by PO)
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did a little research on the gasket and found the difference... mine is the one with one less hole..

and he did mention something about modifying the light switch so I dont really want to take it apart until I have a replacement ready, in fear of it just falling apart.

Comment

I do have a light switch from a 79 GS400 that should be the same.Have a bunch of 83GS750E ones but those are a later style.PM or email me at snooksdad@gmail.com .

Comment

I did a little research on the gasket and found the difference... mine is the one with one less hole..

and he did mention something about modifying the light switch so I dont really want to take it apart until I have a replacement ready, in fear of it just falling apart.
                        Pull tank, just behind right ignition coil is a nylon plug that runs to left switch- does this plug have 12 contact spots in it (2 empty ) ? any sign of splicing from here to switch?
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

I would put either a rubber grommet or rubber washer under that nut/bolt/washer setup.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

my 650 definitely doesn't have that Center hole in the Airbox Cover.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X