1983 Carb swap question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Carb swap question..

Ok so, i ruined my set of carbs for my 1983 suzuki Gs550 ES by trying to reverse drill one of the pilot jets out. Unfortuantly i can't find another pair anywhere. So i've had the idea that maybe i can convert it to the 4 single carbs? Is this possible does anyone know?

Haven't seen this anywhere, but it would be kewl to see.
    Not sure how you'd manage to go from the oval shape of those carbs to 4 individual carbs. Special made boot? Anything is possible, just don't know if it would make sense to do. Those carbs usually come across eBay every once and a while. I'd start there.

Comment

Swap the head to an earlier model and you can
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

NO, you can't Bill! That is a 16 valve head & you can't put an 8 valve head on it! ALL of the 16 valve, USA model 550s had the 2-2barrel type carbs on them. You will need to find another set of carbs. Ebay & salvage yards will be your best bets. Craigslist also. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          NO, you can't Bill! That is a 16 valve head & you can't put an 8 valve head on it! ALL of the 16 valve, USA model 550s had the 2-2barrel type carbs on them. You will need to find another set of carbs. Ebay & salvage yards will be your best bets. Craigslist also. Ray.
          shoot didn't even know there was a sixteen valve 550.
          Thanks Ray
          Sorry for the bad advice
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

looks like there is a set on eBay, bu they are in parts...rough.
            I know a guy that is parting out a 550 on eBay. I just bought a few parts for mine from him. I will send him an email and see if he has the carbs. Get back in touch as soon as I hear from him.

-User

Comment

David 510

Sent you a pm

Comment

I've had luck with an easy out tool a steady hand and a drill press.

When it comes time to replace the "air needle screw" it's the same one they use in the mid-80's GS500 twins... (even if they say the 550 ones are out)

Comment

@ Simmoto Got your pm.

@ the rest...

I tried an easy out and it wouldn't work so i resorted to trying to reverse drill it out and it drilled straight through the damned pilot jet...

Comment

The guy I was talking to has already sold the set he had.

Comment

It looks like http://www.alpha-sports.com has the pilot jets, about $10 each.

Comment

Working...
                      X