What is my carb set up for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is my carb set up for?

So i finally got time to do carbs properly on my 1982 GS750EZ, when i got the bike it came with pretty old supertrapp 4-1, and no airbox, i found a front box but no rear and just used a cone filter on the end of the front airbox during summer and it ran a little lean i believe. i figured that somewhere down the line PO had to install some kinda jet kit but this is the first time i really dug into them to find out the actual numbers. the carbs are BS32SS

Currently installed________________Stock
    Main Jet# 120 __________________112.5
    Pilot Jet # 42.5__________________42.5
    Air Jet # 150____________________170
    Needle Jet 318 Y-5_______________ Y-4
    Fuel Needle 5c32 ________________5c28

Comparing the numbers it looks to me that i have 1980 750 L carbs with main jet from dynojet kit stage one, does that look right or is this a 82 EZ carbs with some other kit? And lastly what should i do for the air as the cone filter on the airbox is not a permanent solution. What kind of air cleaner assembly should i look for with this setup i really dont want to spend 100 bucks on stage three if i can make it run right with this setup. Not really looking for power more into making it last long and run correctly.
    thank to all in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM.

Ok let me rephrase the question to run a stock airbox with high flowing filter and 4-1 pipe, do i just use two small spacers on top of the needle instead of the nylon washer, or do i also need to go to 45 pilot jets?
    During this season bike ran pretty well from about 3.5k all the way to the redline so im sure i have adequate mains but low end had a few flat spots.

Comment

You need a jet kit with an adjustable needle.
      Check out Dynojet or Factory Pro
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

do stock fuel needles have grooves on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
          do stock fuel needles have grooves on them?
          Not USA but Canadian models did.
          Talk to RapidRay since he has some groovy needles for sale.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

i'll take a pic tonight of my needles but i think they are not stock there were 5 grooves on them w/ clip in the middle (3rd) groove. and they are straight were only the tip is tapered

Comment

any numbers on them?

Comment

finally ditched the flu and and can tackle at this again

the needle says 5c32 and also realized the slide is already drilled well here is a pic

Comment

Does anyone know if that is a stock needle pictured above????

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
                    Does anyone know if that is a stock needle pictured above????
                    I am going to take a stab at this and say no and yes. As your first post mentions, the "stock" needle is 5c28 and you say this is 5c32. So it is in fact, not stock at least for USA. However, from what little I remember and what I can glean from this web site, a 5cXX is essentially the same as 5cYY.

Thus I would say that it will work like stock. Heck, for Canada, it may have been stock.

In your case without an airbox of any sort and a 4 into 1, I would guess, and I mean guess that you are probably lean on this needle. Best way to know is to do some spark plug chops at various throttle positions and compare how they look.

Comment

Canadian needle

Comment

Resurrecting my old thread
                        I rebuild the carbs with all new o-rings dipped them, bench synced and raised the needle the clip now is on the lowest notch, also i have k&n pods and supertrapp 4-into-1, on it.
                        the bike started right up and i think it is running rich as it will only rev up to about 8k, the smoke is a bit whitish. But it ran smooth and consistent with occasional popping.
                        i have a diy manometer and waiting on my colortune. the question i have is if my carbs stick doesnt work and carbs will only be bench synced how bad or what are the negatives of setting fuel mixture per a given cylinder without them being absolutely synced?

Comment

Hey all im having a few issues with getting the bike to run well above 3k rpms here is what i've done so far

dipped carbs with new o-rings, synced them, raised the needle max clip is on the bottom slot. k&n pods. I have a colortune but had yellow or white lite i didnt really see any blue when trying to adjust it. bike really does not want to start when cold once it fires up it runs pretty smooth. it will rev through the entire rpm range with no load on it. However when i try to ride it it wont go past 3.5 -4k rpms i didnt do a throttle position chart on it yet so my guess is it wont go past 1/4-1/2 throttle. it starts to bog down doesnt die no poping if i hold t long enough it will eventually get thru the bogging and will accelerate.

main jets are 120 which is plus 3 from stock 112.5, pilots are stock 42.5 and air jet is 150 instead of stock 170.

Should i try to lower the needle a bit to second from the bottom clip? And should i go up to 45 pilots?

Comment

I'd start with at least a 130 main jet

Comment

is that a dynojet 130 or mikuni 130? from what i remember 120 mikuni is 130 dynojet please correct me if im wrong. i have a mikuni 120 btw

Comment

Working...
                              X