revs 4500 and stays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

revs 4500 and stays

i just started my bike up for the first time. took a bit but got it to turn over and stay running but revs to 4500 and stays there. what should i do next? 83 gs750 es

Hi,

Could there be air leaks in the intake system? Rubber contracts and gets hard as it dries out over the years. Have you replaced carb boots, airbox boots, intake O-rings, sealed the airbox, etc? Checked the throttle cable, throttle and choke linkages? Adjusted the main idle screw? When was the last time you vacuum synced the carbs?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

so this is what its doing.. when i start it on full choke itll idle to about 4500 as i let the choke off itll go down. but if i let it fully off or twist the throttle it dies. i havent sinced it yet because i havent had it idling good. i am going and getting an adapter tomorrow so i can check the float level thru the bottom drain plug thinking that i set the levels wrong. any ideas? and also a question where should the idle screw be set to, somewhere in the manual it said all the way to the left but i didnt think that could be right, and i closed the mixture screws and turned them back 360 from what i heard that was right for just getting it started.

Comment

Working...
      X