Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, new rider, new bike...figuring it out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, new rider, new bike...figuring it out!

Hello fellas,

I thought I'd make an introductory/help/build combo thread and save everybody some reading, but let me know if you prefer I do it separately. My name is Andres from Miami, FL and this is the '82 GS1100G I just bought:

I plan on getting her on riding condition, learning how to ride safely (I've already located a MSF course close by) and then possibly modifying the bike a bit to fit my taste.

Now for the issues:

The seller had already told me that it needed some carb work as it is flooding (still started when he showed me the bike though).
    After a day in my garage I noticed some oil on the floor, which seemed to be coming from the oil drain plug. After searching the forum I bought an oversize plug from my local Autozone, along with some Diesel oil and a new filter and o ring.
    Now the leak is gone but the old oil had a strong smell of gas, and seemed quite diluted (at least it was clean). Could the overflowing of the carbs have caused gas to mix with the oil? or is it a sign of something worse?

When I briefly run the bike (10 seconds or less) to check the new plug for leaks, gas started spraying from the exhaust (in the bottom "H" and in the joint between the rear and front half of the exhaust) which I didn't expect. Is that also because of the flooding carbs? Seemed like a lot of gas, compared to the slow dripping I was seeing from the air filter.

Today I ordered the O ring set from cycleorings.com along with the intake O rings and fasteners, so that should take care of the carb, but I was wondering if something bigger was wrong.

I'm really glad I found this site as it has already proved invaluable.

Thanks for your help.

Andres

The overflowing carbs is only part of the problem. It sounds like your petcock is pouring fuel down the vacuum hose. This causes fuel in the oil and a WAY over rich mix in the number 2 cylinder. Check your #2 plug and see if it is very different from the others.

P.S- Nice find!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. scaylabs,

It sounds like you're doing your research and well on your way to having a reliable, safe machine. You'll find answers to all of these questions, and more, on my little website. For example:

Overflowing Carbs

What you can't find there, you can certainly find here. Don't forget, there are technical sections for specific issues. Now let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Petcock and carb issues

Replace that bad petcock so you have oil in the crankcase, not gas
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That was quick, thank you for your responses gentlemen!

So, I read that petcock rebuild kits are a 50/50 chance, is there a source for New OEM petcocks? Probably not too cheap..

Thank you for the special welcome BassCliff

Comment

Never mind, I see http://z1enterprises.com/ has them. $51.20 is not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
              Never mind, I see http://z1enterprises.com/ has them. $51.20 is not so bad.
              They do? I thought they only carry aftermarket petcock stuff... Mind posting the link?

Comment

Mmm, you may be right, it doesn't say anything about it being OEM. I didn't know they made reproductions, are they usually bad quality?

z1enterprises.com

Bike Bandit's petcock does say OEM for $69.02.

bikebandit.com

Comment

Z1 does carry a lot of aftermarket stuff, but they can, and will. order OEM for you, too. Just call them.

BassCliff has a list of vendors on his site, with commentaries on some of them. Bike Bandit is OK for some stuff, but they tend to be second-most-expensive on their prices and are the only ones to use their own part numbering system. Everyone else uses Suzuki part numbers.

Agree, nice find on the bike, but just so you don't run into problems looking for parts, you have a GS1100GL. That "L" is important when ordering some parts.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try babbittsonline or partshark, they are almost always cheaper than BikeBandit. Babbitts shows it for $61 with the o-ring included.
                    Z1s petcocks are not the same; I prefer the OEM units that bolt right on. My first one lasted 27 years; I hope the new one lasts that long also. If Z1 can match that price on an OEM petcock I would buy from them. They are not only helpful and knowledgeable, the owner Jeff Saunders is also a member here.
                    And Steve is correct; I noticed you had an "L" model immediately, I was just too polite to mention it ( to you Steve, you know I am just ribbing you). You will get used to the "L" ribbing around here, it is all in good fun.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      I noticed you had an "L" model immediately, I was just too polite to mention it ( to you Steve, you know I am just ribbing you). You will get used to the "L" ribbing around here, it is all in good fun.
                      Hey, I was politely trying to let him down gently.

Somebody had to do it, and I'm a moving target.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Haha, I see how things are going to be around here That's OK though, I'm more of a "L" type (cruiser) guy anyway. BTW, any other difference between the GL and G besides the stepped seat and handlebars?

Thanks for the advice on the suppliers Koolaid and Steve, I'll contact Z1 and see what they quote me on a OEM unit.

Comment

Hey welcome to the slightly off-tilt club of GS owners. I'm also an "L" owner (Luxury Model, BTW), but mine rubbed up against a "G" that I bought as a parts bike and some of it rubbed off on my 'L". Looks like you found a nice bike there with a lot of promise. Once you cure the petcock and carb problems things will get better, especially once you do the valve shims as well. These bikes used to be a well kept secret, and now it's getting out......

Comment

The "cruiser" look with an inline 4 is fine for some, we really won't hold it against you. Different strokes, after all.
                            There are other differences - the leading axle forks, smaller rear wheel diameter, smaller fuel tank to name a few. But the core is still a GS, good machines for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              The "cruiser" look with an inline 4 is fine for some, we really won't hold it against you. Different strokes, after all.
                              There are other differences - the leading axle forks, smaller rear wheel diameter, smaller fuel tank to name a few. But the core is still a GS, good machines for the day.
                              Actually, mine doesn't have a smaller rear wheel, being an '80 model it came out with the 17" rear wheel, same as the '81 "G" parts bike I've got.

Comment

Working...
                              X