Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, new rider, new bike...figuring it out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like your speedo drive is rotated way far forward, as well. This is the little thingy that has the cable coming from the front axle on the left side. The cable drives the speedometer, which of course tells you how fast you are going. Loosen the front axle, rotate that speedo drive until the exit points rearward, and your speedo cable will thank you....
    And welcome aboard!

Comment

Thank you for the comments and the welcome guys.

I ended up ordering from Z1. A little more expensive than Parts-n-more but their 3-day shipping was $18, which I liked better than the $8 flat rate that would take 10-14 days to get all the way to Miami. They had faster methods available but being International the cost was prohibitive.

I got a bunch of things: Needle valves, rubber plugs, bowl gaskets, exhaust gaskets (will be dealing with that next), NGK spark plugs, a valve cover gasket, and valve shims.

While I wait for the goodies to arrive I gave my carbs a slight makeover, following RenoBruce's guidance on this thread.

My paint booth. Self Etching primer first.

Black caliper paint next. I was planning on just painting the bowl and top, but the bodies look really ugly compared to the new painted surfaces (that is the ugliest of the bodies, the other 3 are a little better). Might have to go all the way and paint them too. Everything was dipped for 24hs then boiled for 30min.

Comment

So... it may not be RenoBruce quality, but I think it's much better than before!

#2 on the left straight off the bike, #1 on the right after the dip.

#1 after some paint and new SS fasteners.

It's still an empty shell, waiting for gaskets and needle valves to arrive.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post

#1 after some paint and new SS fasteners.

Hi,

That's a very nice looking carburetor!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you Cliff!

Parts are here, looks like I'm gonna have a great weekend!

Comment

It was a busy weekend:

Carbs are finally together and looking pretty good!

I will do a bench sync this afternoon.

I removed the last few stuck screws holding the old boots (hitting them on the side of the head with a hammer did the trick. Love this forum!), and installed new boots with fresh o rings.

Scraped off the old sealant/gunk that was around the old petcock, inevitably along with some tank paint, so I gave the area a few coats of primer. Ready to install the brand new petcock this afternoon.

Installed new NGK B8ES spark plugs gapped to .031".

Finished the valve adjustment with the shims I got from Z1. In case anyone reads this, do not trust the numbers on the shims, measure them with a caliber. I didn't and some were off by as much as 0.05mm, which completely screwed up my game plan. Ended up with 3 valves with 0.10mm clearance, but I hear it should be OK (I hope).

I'm going to change the oil again, in case any more fuel got in it before I disconnected the failing petcock.

I might be ready to start her up again today!

Comment

Nice looking carbs..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  ... Take a look at Parts-n-More.
                  Thanks for the link! It's great to find a local Canadian distributor with prices comparable to the US dealers.

Cheers!

Comment

Success!! She started right up, albeit running a bit rough.
                    No more fuel leaks, no more oil leak.

I tried adjusting the idle mixture but #1 and #2 don't seem to affect the idle speed at all. Probably way out of sync from what I've been able to learn searching.

Carbtune's website is estimating 6 weeks delivery to US!!
                    Anyone with a Carbtune in the Miami area?

Comment

Working...
                    X