Setting up Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Carbs

Hi I got a 1981 gs 850 and it did not have the carb's I found a set off a 1982 and got them. The person I got them from said they came from a running bike. I installed them on mine and I found that the choke does not hook up the same but that is not my problem I cant seem to get it to run right if I hold the choke it will run but no throttle if I twist the throttle it bogs down but if I back off the choke it starts to die I am not sure if the carb's are set right if you can let me know what to set them at to work right also is there a warm up that it needs to stay choked?
    hope someone can help.

Hello:

Is the airbox installed on the bike? I am fairly sure it needs to be.
    A manual can be downloaded from BasssClifs website.

Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

As long as you are running on "choke", you can NOT apply any throttle.

These carbs use an "enrichening system" rather than a plate that "chokes" the intake of the carb to provide the rich mixture for starting.
      Opening the throttle at all while the "choke" is applied will bypass the system and the engine will basically starve to death.

Parts are available to convert the "choke" from the '82 system on your carbs to the '81 system for which the rest of your bike is set up.
      I have those parts at home, but I won't be there for another month, if you are interested.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

These carbs use an "enrichening system" rather than a plate that "chokes" the intake of the carb to provide the rich mixture for starting.
        Opening the throttle at all while the "choke" is applied will bypass the system and the engine will basically starve to death.

Parts are available to convert the "choke" from the '82 system on your carbs to the '81 system for which the rest of your bike is set up.
        I have those parts at home, but I won't be there for another month, if you are interested.

Steve, have suitcase...will travel, apply?

Buddy, "you's got's ta stay home", every now and again...

Just one more week and you can kick your feet up for a few days!

Comment

Cliff, care to take over?

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Motorräder View Post
            Hello:

Is the airbox installed on the bike? I am fairly sure it needs to be.
            A manual can be downloaded from BasssClifs website.

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/GS850_Manual_HiRes.pdf

no it was not I will try that thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Thanks I may be interested let me look the guy gave me a box of parts they may be in there.
              I do have a few more questions
              1- there are (4) hoses that come from the carb's one is the fuel and there is two that are the same size as the fuel and one that is smaller where do these go to on the bike?
              2- there is some screw adjustments on the carb's what should I set them to?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                Steve, have suitcase...will travel, apply?

Buddy, "you's got's ta stay home", every now and again...

Just one more week and you can kick your feet up for a few days!
                Yep, suitcase seems to always be packed.

Only problem with staying at home is that I don't get paid.

No, Dave, it's going to be a MONTH before I get to "kick up my feet". I travel tomorrow to the other side of Mississississippippi to cover for a guy who is taking a week of vacation, then I get to come back to the FLAT side of this wonderful state for another three weeks, THEN I get to do the 11-hour drive home.

No time to kick up my feet, though. I have to finally take the time to take the broken parts off my Wing and send them, along with the new parts, to the pinstriper, so they can color-match the striping. I need to do an exhaust bolt extraction and possible upper-end gasket replacement on Mrs. Steve's bike, get some projects done around the house, a few other things, I'm sure, then possibly drive #2 son to Flori-duh.

Then, after lunch, ...

Originally posted by mackdog2008 View Post
                Thanks I may be interested let me look the guy gave me a box of parts they may be in there.
                I do have a few more questions
                1- there are (4) hoses that come from the carb's one is the fuel and there is two that are the same size as the fuel and one that is smaller where do these go to on the bike?
                2- there is some screw adjustments on the carb's what should I set them to?
                Have you gotten your welcome from BassCliff?

You really need to bookmark his site.

On his site, he has this page (along with many others) that could help you a LOT.

Last edited by Steve; 02-19-2011, 01:44 AM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd clean those carbs and install new o-rings to be on the safe side.
                  I'd also set the float heigth and bench sync them.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mackdog2008,

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Even if those carbs are from a "running" bike, you will benefit from cleaning them up properly and installing a new O-ring kit from cycleorings.com. Then you won't have to worry about them for another 20 years or so. These bikes also NEED the airbox w/filter to run properly with stock jetting. I also ride an 850G so you'll find lots of ways to love it on my little website.

Are you ready? Now let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks this helped me a lot I am glad I found you all.
                      I am going to a local bike shop to pick up new carb bowl gaskets and o rings along with new plugs then I'm going to finish cleaning the carbs and start re-assimbling them I will let you know how it goes.
                      I do not have pictures yet but I will get some of the before and after I'm going to give her a fresh paint job.
                      If any one has a speedo/tach that is in good shape I'm looking also need a headlight and mounting for the headlight and signals need signals as well for the front.
                      Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to make you aware of the slight jetting changes between the '82 model GS850G and the earlier '80-'81 models. It seems the '82's were jetted even leaner than the earlier models. You'll find a stock jetting chart HERE. They do have the same main jets but different jet needle, needle jet, pilot jet, pilot air jet, etc. I would clean them and reassemble as is, adjust and vacuum sync, then keep an eye on the spark plugs. You may want to use the "plug chop" method to check the mixture at different carb circuits/throttle openings. Then re-jet as necessary.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

I just wanted to make you aware of the slight jetting changes between the '82 model GS850G and the earlier '80-'81 models. It seems the '82's were jetted even leaner than the earlier models. You'll find a stock jetting chart HERE. They do have the same main jets but different jet needle, needle jet, pilot jet, pilot air jet, etc. I would clean them and reassemble as is, adjust and vacuum sync, then keep an eye on the spark plugs. You may want to use the "plug chop" method to check the mixture at different carb circuits/throttle openings. Then re-jet as necessary.

BassCliff
                          Thanks I will do just that.
                          do you have or know someone who has a speedo/tach and other items I listed in my last post?

Comment

Hi,

For your parts needs, have a look in the Parts for Sale section and post in the Parts Wanted section. Also check Ebay.

I have a speedo/tach set for a '79 GS850G. I bought them off Ebay but ended up not using them. PM me if you're interested and I'll snap a few pictures for you. They're not the best but they could be serviceable.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X