"New" GS 850 owner, looking for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New" GS 850 owner, looking for help

Hello. I am new to GS forums, and the proud owner of a beautifully running 1979 GS850G. The former owners had taken real good care of her before I bought her last week. The last owner passed away in tragic circumstances, and would probably be riding right now.

Thank you, rest in peace.

Since last week, I have gone over the bike pretty thoroughly, and only found a couple of things that would be better fixed. That's all done now, and today was the first time to fire up the beast.

I found the choke was sticking very badly, impossible to move the control knob. However I manually activated the choke on the far right carb and she fired up first time.

I noticed that there was a lot of gas coming out of the hose at the bottom of the bike. I am not sure why this is. It is dumping gas at an alarming rate. I ran the motor a while until she was warm enough to release the choke, but it made no difference. Gas is pouring out of the relief pipe.

If anyone knows what this might be caused by, and can offer me some advice it would be much appreciated. I am hoping for an easy fix, since everything else seems to be in such good order. I do not believe I have heard an engine running so sweetly as this one. Perhaps this is not news to other owners. I had a GS850 some time ago, and have regretted selling it bitterly. This one is my keeper!

I will look around the forum posts in case this has come up before, but in case not, hopefully someone knows the answer. Very impressive forum indeed. Glad to be a GS owner again.

First, welcome. That will certainly be a great bike I'm sure. Not to spoil the surprise, but BassCliff should be along soon with your official welcome. In the meantime...

What you are experiencing is most likely:

1) The petcock diaphragm is leaking, so fuel is headed down the vacuum line and overflowing carb #3. Take off the petcock vacuum line (should be on carb #3) and look for signs that fuel has been in it. Or pinch off the hose, set the petcock to prime, and see if it stops. But watch then for #2.

2) You have one or more needle valves in the carbs that are not seating correctly, and the carbs are overflowing back into the airbox.

Lots of stuff forum searches will turn up for you. Good luck and I'm glad you found this site.

Whereabouts in Wild Wonderful BC is Delta? I have family in Kamloops. My grandparents used to live in Chase but have passed on, as well as some great uncles and aunts in Big Lake.

Comment

Thanks very much Mike.
      I went and checked and you have nailed it - the petcock is indeed gummed up. I will now go take it apart and apply cleaning in abundance, and see what happens. I did not expect such a swift response, but sure glad to have this suggestion.

Delta is just south of Vancouver. Past Richmond heading south.
      I usually stop off at Loops for coffee and a fill up of gas on my way to Salmon Arm in the summer months. Planning to take my "new" GS850 this year to Sturgis NORTH, should be a blast.

Really appreciate your help Mike.

Fireman.

Comment

The conventional GSR wisdom says that malfunctioning petcocks should be replaced, as the success rate of rebuilds is quite low. It's certainly going to need more than just a cleaning - if you're leaking gas through the petcock vacuum line then the thin rubber diaphragm inside is probably torn. They're not that expensive...

Glad to be of service. Keep hanging out here and you'll learn all sorts of wonderful things about your GS (and some other stuff, too ) from people much wiser and more knowledgeable than me.

Comment

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this information:

Overflowing Carbs

Has the bike been sitting for any length of time? I ask because if so, the carbs may need a good cleaning and O-ring replacement. You'll find more information in your "mega-welcome" in your GS Owners section thread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X