GS850 missing with choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 missing with choke

I am having a problem with my '79 GS850. It starts up with the choke pulled out but cylinder #2 does not fire...that exhaust header is cold. If I warm it up like that, on 3 cylinders, and push the choke in the #2 header will get warm and the bike runs good on all 4.

I have confirmed that the choke plungers for all 4 carbs move up and down with the choke linkage.

It has new plugs. I put fuel stablizer in the gas last fall plus I put some fresh gas in yesterday.

I rode this bike alot last summer started and ran great when I parked it last November.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Brian

Fuel side of the enrichment circuit is clogged, so when the choke is pulled it adds air but no fuel. Take the float bowl off and clean the little passage in it. It is usually the first thing to clog up from sitting a while, as it is the lowest fuel passage in the carb, and it is small. You may have to take the whole carburetor off to dip it if it's not the passage in the bowl which is clogged.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I will give that a try.

Brian

Comment

OK I have the carbs off and the float bowl off #2 carb. Is the passage to the enrichment circuit the skinny brass tube with the tiny hole?

Brian

Comment

Have you seen this?

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Fuel side of the enrichment circuit is clogged, so when the choke is pulled it adds air but no fuel. Take the float bowl off and clean the little passage in it. It is usually the first thing to clog up from sitting a while, as it is the lowest fuel passage in the carb, and it is small. You may have to take the whole carburetor off to dip it if it's not the passage in the bowl which is clogged.
            You're the man Tkent. Stuck a thin wire up that whole, then blew some air in there. Put the whole thing back together and now I can burn my hand on whatever pipe I grab.

Thanks for your help. I love this forum.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
              Put the whole thing back together and now I can burn my hand on whatever pipe I grab.

Thanks for your help. I love this forum.

Brian
              Happy to be of assistance, but did you hurt yourself badly?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X