Emulsion tube residue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emulsion tube residue

I see a lot of posts by exapserated new people who argue with equally exasperated older members on the need to dip carbs.

Well for the fun of it I knocke out a emulison tube on a carb that was supposed sonically cleaned and I was pretty amazed to see that crystalized fuel reside was in the cavity below the tiny orifices int he tube and was partially clogging them.

It would appear that a complete teardown is necessary to have a fully functionla rack of carbs. I sheared off the indexing pins when I knocked the tube out that should be a caution on the carb teardown pages maybe.

I would post pics but its too late the residue sort of crumbled away like an old document.
    It never would have gotten out with a spary can of cleaner though.

We keep preaching, they keep arguing.

Thank for your observations.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      We keep preaching, they keep arguing.

Thank for your observations.

+1 yup what he said

Comment

Hi,

But I took the bowls off and sprayed all the jets.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Had a similar experience with a carb that was dipped with the emulsion tubes in place.
          I used a pencil to knock my tubes out.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I use the big end of the choke rod to knock out the emulsion tube.
            By the way the one you sheared the dowel off is junk. You can't tighten the main jet without pulling the emulsion tube through.
            Last edited by chef1366; 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A complete carburetor teardown is necessary and each part must be cleaned inside and out. Every passage must be cleared and all seals (o-ring – gasket) checked. Dipping helps but it is only part of the cleaning process and not always necessary.

Comment

From personal experience a sonic clean would only really be able to finish a cleanup after you give the tubes a soak in carby cleaner and a scrub to get rid of the largest chunks of crap that have affixed themselves.

Comment

Working...
                X