Broken Mikuni carb body(?!?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Mikuni carb body(?!?!)

Help, help! First-time poster, 6-month lurker in serious distress guys.. Here I was, taking out the float pins to replace the float needle seat o-rings underneath, when the pivot pin carrier SNAPPED!

Sooooo now I'm looking for ideas on a) what carbs I'm able to replace these with, and b) where the best place is to look. It should also be noted that it's the right-side when seated on the bike, in case it's enough to replace with just one?

As for the bike carb info, I live in Vancouver, Canada, and this is supposedly a 1986 GS400S, which I believe is the same as a GS400E elsewhere (although these were only made up until 85 in the States) and (I THINK) has the Mikuni BS34SS carburetors. Any and all info is massively appreciated. I'm extremely bummed about this as they are pretty much in perfect shape as is and barely needed any cleaning/work at all - they were just flooding a little bit. I almost cried over dinner...

Welcome to the forum kind sir. I had the same thing happen to me last year and another GSR member helped me fix it using this thread - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=159769

Try that out and see what happens. If it doesn't work for you than you might consider throwing a post in the Parts Wanted section or look out on Ebay. Someone will be able to help.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As I posted in your other thread (who knows, maybe someone else needed it bumped to the top): I am totally trying this tomorrow! Will definitely be supporting the other side of the posts from now on. I didn't realize they'd be so stiff coming out; my Kawi KZ had circlips on the outside and the pins just slid out.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. theswedishthing,

I'm going to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

For example: Removing Float Pins

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the huge welcome Bikecliff! Feeling the love for sure. I checked out some of those links and, more importantly for the issue at hand, managed to find a replacement carb body today at a salvage shop in town. In other words, will hopefully pick up a set of o-rings, swap the guts into the new body, and be up and running sooner than later

cheers

Comment

I have found that the handle on my wire brush (yes, the same wire brush used to create the "high-tech" carb cleaning tool) is exactly the height to put under the lower of the two supports when the carb is lying on its side.

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X