Drilling Exhaust Drain Relief Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling Exhaust Drain Relief Holes

I just picked up a nice original exhaust system from my '83 GS1100E and since I drive to work for only a short distance, I don't want this set to rust out due to not enough heat building up to allow it to burn off.

Would anyone recommend drilling drain holes in the bottom of the tubes to allow the condensation to escape rather than let it 'pool' in the pipes?

I seem to recall that the older Hondas had this drain provision in their factory systems.

If you drill holes in the system you will probably most defiantly in up with a popping on deceleration don't do it
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I thought original GS exhaust systems already had these holes -- a question that pops up here regularly is "what the heck are these little holes?"
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Mine (both the L and the G) came with the drain holes in them.

Comment

My 79 has them too.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

They rust shut most of the time. Id take them off and save them , thats what I did with my 80 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
              They rust shut most of the time. Id take them off and save them , thats what I did with my 80 GS1100E
              Wow, I'm tripping out on this one. Do you keep the holes in a jar or something?

Comment

If you don't ride long enough to get the entire system up to operating temperature, it will rust from the inside. Holes or no holes.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                  Wow, I'm tripping out on this one. Do you keep the holes in a jar or something?
                  I've got a quart jar full of exhaust holes, we end up with those in all our mufflers here in the rust belt.... That's in addition to the engineered drain holes They are rather difficult to see once they're in the jar though, and sometimes it can be mistaken for an empty jar.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    I've got a quart jar full of exhaust holes, we end up with those in all our mufflers here in the rust belt.... They are rather difficult to see once they're in the jar though, and sometimes it can be mistaken for an empty jar.
                    Reminds me of a load I had to carry occasionally when I was driving truck.

It wa a very dangerous mixed load of post holes, sailboat fuel and dispatcher brains.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If were talking about holes on the mufflers, they only perforate the outside skin of the muffler so that any condensation that builds up in between the baffling and the outside skin can drip out/evaporate off & minimise rusting.

Comment

Working...
                      X