Carbtune and Sync Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbtune and Sync Questions

Hi guys, I'm having some issues. 83 1100ES. Stage 3 kit. 4-1 pipe, K&N pods. Carbs cleaned as per guide and all O-rings replaced. Float height set as per manual.

I'm on the last stages of the build and am using the Morgan tool to sync.

I read through a bunch of threads on the topic and still haven't found a definitive answer.

I bench synced the carbs and can get the bike to start on choke. Once its warmed up a bit, I'm eventually able to get it to idle off choke.

My mixture screws are set at 2.5 turns out as per the jet kit. I've replaced the the intake boots, and they are snugged down tightly to head and carbs. Fuel line attached to temporary fuel tank on bars, and vacuum line plugged with a golf T.

Couple problems.

First, If I try to throttle up it will bog down around 3k.

Second, with Carbtune hooked up, at normal idle 1k rpm, I get little to no readings. At about 2k im getting around 16-18 cm hg.

Seems like an air leak, but boots are firmly seated.

I've gotten it all balanced like that as well as possible, but still having issues with throttle, and the occasional pop. So obviously there is still an underlying issue.

Double checked the carbtune itself and can get the tubes to move with some suckin!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Adjust the idle up to 2000-2500 RPM with the adjuster screw when doing the actual sync. After you are done, adjust idle back down to factory spec.
    Floats heights set properly?
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Valves set to spec?

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
        My mixture screws are set at 2.5 turns out as per the jet kit.
        Whether the kit suggests it or not, I like to go a bit richer on the mixture screws at first, then, when things are fully warmed up and synchronized, tweak them down to the "perfect" mixture. Yeah, they might end up back at 2.5 turns, but I usually start at at least 3.0. If nothing else, the richer mixture will help it start and run with less "choke" so you can get to your sync quicker.

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
        Second, with Carbtune hooked up, at normal idle 1k rpm, I get little to no readings. At about 2k im getting around 16-18 cm hg.
        Originally posted by Greg B View Post
        Adjust the idle up to 2000-2500 RPM with the adjuster screw when doing the actual sync.
        I have always done my sync at just over stock idle, about 1200-1400 rpm, but you should know that the factory manual says to run it between 1500 and 2000 rpm while synchronizing the carbs (they call it "balancing").

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Float heights set to spec, valves adjusted correctly.

I am trying to balance at 2k rpm.

I'll try 3 full turns out on the mixture and start there

I thought it odd that I don't get much of a reading at idle speed, and only 18 cm hg at 2k.
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

[QUOTE=
            I have always done my sync at just over stock idle, about 1200-1400 rpm, but you should know that the factory manual says to run it between 1500 and 2000 rpm while synchronizing the carbs (they call it "balancing").

.[/QUOTE]

If you read the Carbtune instructions, you will see it says to adjust the idle up.
            I had to read it twice before I realized it.
            Carbtune ain't exactly the same as mercury filled carb sticks, or vacuum gauges.
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

You also need to get the mixture screws adjusted CORRECTLY before you try syncing the carbs. Use the "fastest idle" method to get the mixture screws set CORRECTLY. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray.

Started at 2.5 turns out, and after adjusting mixture screws for high rpm I'm getting strong readings at idle.

For some reason I had thought balance then high rpm.

Getting closer. Wish it wasn't raining so I could take it for a spin.

Nic
                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

Budget GSXR Conversion:

Comment

Working...
                X