Doesn't seem right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't seem right

Hey all, I was getting ready to hook up some hoses and thought I would leisurely put the vacuum hose from the petcock to the carbs. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. What the french toast did I put on backwards, sideways, or upside down? Even if I can get a hose on there I think it would pinch up and mess up the vacuum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI, it's the brass fitting to airbox boot marriage in the center that's giving me the problem if the pic is too close.

If you disassembled the petcock recently (judging from the freshly munged screws, this seems likely), it looks like you put the back plate on pointing the wrong way. IIRC, the vacuum nipple usually points to the back and slightly up.

Also, have a fire extinguisher handy. Petcock rebuild kits are well known to be rather iffy...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

1. Is that the same petcock that was on the bike the last time it ran?

2. If it is, did you take the petcock apart?

3. If you did, did you happen to rotate the fuel outlet?

By the way, the picture is perfect.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, that makes a ton of sense now. I did take it apart and refreshed it for lack of a better term because I cleaned it up and changed the OEM innards that were available from BikeBandit. I've been paying enough attention to not get petcock or carb "rebuild kits".

Thank you, gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
        X