Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Float Bowl Drain Thread Size for tubing adapters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Bowl Drain Thread Size for tubing adapters??

I would like to get an adapter for the float bowl drain holes so I can use some clear tubing to verify my float level.

Anyone happen to know what adapters might work, or of a method for doing this? I glanced through BassCliff's site and didn't really see this addressed, though I thought I had read about it being done.

I've read that you can just cram some tubing into the hole and it seals pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
      I would like to get an adapter for the float bowl drain holes so I can use some clear tubing to verify my float level.

Anyone happen to know what adapters might work, or of a method for doing this? I glanced through BassCliff's site and didn't really see this addressed, though I thought I had read about it being done.
      Ebay. someone sells the things already made up for $10 (not that I can find them there now.. ). It's not a common thread pitch, it's an m6x0.75. I believe. I drilled out a spare drain plug I had.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        I've read that you can just cram some tubing into the hole and it seals pretty well.
        That's what I do. Get some small ID, thick wall clear gas line and make the end pointy. Jam it in and give it 1/2 to 3/4 turn and it seals perfectly and doesn't even drip.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I drilled an old drain plug and used epoxy to attach a small nipple on the end.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys... !

Comment

I drilled out an old drain plug and soldered a piece of copper tubing into it.

OK it looks a bit rough but it does the job and it won't rust as it's all coated in solder.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

If only I had an old drain plug... Maybe I'll order one the next time I get something from Bike Bandit or ???

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  That's what I do. Get some small ID, thick wall clear gas line and make the end pointy. Jam it in and give it 1/2 to 3/4 turn and it seals perfectly and doesn't even drip.
                  You jam the tubing into the drain hole in the bottom of the carb bowl? I assume then you put a small shut off valve on the end of the tubing?

Comment

Originally posted by sal paradise View Post
                    I assume then you put a small shut off valve on the end of the tubing?
                    That would defeat the purpose. The tubing is temporary, held up and used as a manometer to check the height of the fuel in the fuel bowls. As long as the end stays high enough, you shouldn't lose any fuel.

Comment

I don't see a lot of people discussing this clear tube method for float level verification. Do you think it's worthwhile? I guess that measuring the float with carbs off should be plenty accurate, but I would like to have a "real time" reading of the fuel levels with the carbs installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                        That might work on some carbs, but I have seen some that had notches to the sides that allowed the gas to flow when the plug was partially-opened. The crammed tube would not seal those notches.

Originally posted by brad020 View Post
                        I don't see a lot of people discussing this clear tube method for float level verification. Do you think it's worthwhile? I guess that measuring the float with carbs off should be plenty accurate, but I would like to have a "real time" reading of the fuel levels with the carbs installed.
                        Measuring the float levels will get you into the ballpark, but the TRUE measurement is actual fuel height.

Note that the specifications call for a tolerance of only 1mm either side of 'perfect' on the float height. Depending on how heavy the float might be or how well the needle seals, you can use up that 1mm and more rather quickly.

Yes, it's very worthwhile.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hardware stores sell plastic nipples that are close to the size. You just thread then in there & they will adapt to the threads in the carb. I used to do it all the time like that, just stick some tubing on the end and its ready to go. The guy on Ebay thats in Belgrade Mt now makes them and sells them on Ebay. I sent him one to copy originally and they work good. I use his now

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post

They bold size is M6 X 0.75, you can order a grease fitting from McMaster, drill the back and pop the spring and ball out, put a tube on it and you have a fuel meter.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

You can just buy this for $10

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                              X