83 1100E leaks water from bottom of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E leaks water from bottom of engine

I am currently doing some work on the bike which requires frequent stops and starts, never warming the engine (or pipes) up. Eventually I noticed a puddle of water under the engine. I suspect it is condensation dripping from the crosspipe. I went online to see if there is a gasket in there that might need replacing. The parts fiche did not show any gasket at all, in fact, it appeared to be all one piece. What is going on and what can I do?
    Bike has 36k and no rust, always garage kept.

Some of the crossovers were split with a clamp and gasket holding it together. I'm pretty sure yours doesn't have that, but I could almost swear there's a pin hole there to do just what you're saying. It's also possible that the pipe is condensating on the outside with the humidity/rain and cool weather we're having. If there's no pin hole, there should be no hole. So if you got one bigger than a pin hole you've got a small problem

Can you get it up on a jack to get a good look?

Comment

The stock exhaust pipes have a hole at the bottom right by the collector for allowing condensation to drain. It's normal, don't worry about it.

Comment

The thread's title had me scratchin my head a little. Sorry I don't know much about the original GS exhaust. If it doesn't do it under normal riding conditions I wouldnt worry about it though as long as you don't have an actual exhaust leak.

Comment

But it's peeing on the garage floor!

Thanks guys, I have verified that there is indeed a pinhole there for just that purpose. It actually verified that the pinhole is not clogged, which is a good thing. With that many stops and starts, it is reassuring to know that they designed in something that should prevent the pipes from rusting out internally due to condensation. I'll be glad when the current work is done so I can get that bad boy back on the road.
          The next time I am over at bwinger's motorcycle garage and beer emporium I'll get it up on his bike lift and we'll take a look.

Comment

Nope. I just looked it up George. You've blown the block seal out. It's trash. Bring it by and I'll dispose of it for ya, for like, $20? And I'm doing you a favor at that price mind you. Taking junk bikes in isn't what I normally do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Nope. I just looked it up George. You've blown the block seal out. It's trash. Bring it by and I'll dispose of it for ya, for like, $20? And I'm doing you a favor at that price mind you. Taking junk bikes in isn't what I normally do.
              Would you do that for ME? Wow, what are friends for? I wouldn't want to cause any friction between you and Rose. Especially since it is such a poor example of an 83 GS1100E, and I know you got rid of your ES because neither of you like them. I was actually considering rolling it to the curb on trash day and seeing if someone would haul it away for me.
              Wait'll you see what I am working on. It's gonna be fantastic and it is almost done. Just one more minor bug and I'll be back on the road.

Comment

Working...
              X