GS850 Choke won't stay closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Choke won't stay closed

I did a search for choke and didn't find anything on this. I have an 81 GS850 and the choke will not stay pulled (closed choke). I haven't found anyplace to tighten that would create friction to hold the knob pulled out. I've made a little fixture to slide under the knob to keep it pulled until the engine warms up, but like to eliminate that - and I can't reduce the choke to partial open.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM.

try twisting the knob?
    It's supposed to tighten if you turn it to the right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      try twisting the knob?
      That's too easy! It used to stay open just fine, so I'll bet you've got it. I'll check in the a.m. Thanks

Comment

try twisting the knob?
        Mine does not tighten like it should, so don't expect miracles.

My son's didn't either, but we got a new cable for other reasons and the new cable locked just fine.

NOTE: if you have your carbs set right, you don't need the "choke" very long anyway, so it's really not much problem.
        I can start any of our bikes, put on the helmet, get on the bike and ride. By the time I'm in second gear, the "choke" can be turned off.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Mine does not tighten like it should, so don't expect miracles.

My son's didn't either, but we got a new cable for other reasons and the new cable locked just fine.

NOTE: if you have your carbs set right, you don't need the "choke" very long anyway, so it's really not much problem.
          I can start any of our bikes, put on the helmet, get on the bike and ride. By the time I'm in second gear, the "choke" can be turned off.

Dude! How do you put on a helmet and hold the choke at the same time???

Sometimes if you take the knob part of the cable apart and Grok it a bit you can get the friction thing to work again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm assuming it is a pre 1982 with the choke cable on the upper triple clamp. Under the rubber cap below the pull there is a knurled adjustment knob for tightening the cable. In my experience, they are good for about one adjustment, maybe. If you bypass the clutch lock out switch, you can at least start it with one hand. It is possible to pull in the clutch with the crook of your left elbow, while pulling the choke with your left hand.

Often the adjustment strips out or breaks, and you will need a new choke cable to properly repair it.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I've seen a few clothespins clipped to GS handlebars for this situation... pull knob, secure with clothespin, start bike, don helmet unimpeded...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I've seen a few clothespins clipped to GS handlebars for this situation... pull knob, secure with clothespin, start bike, don helmet unimpeded...
                Hey.....I resemble that remark I have a new choke cable, just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. C'mon warmer weather !!!!
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

clockwise turn worked - choke

try twisting the knob?
                  Worked like a charm to turn the knob clockwise! Thanks for eliminating this big irritation for me.

Jim

Comment

I find if I pull mine out and twist it a little it stays. It used to stick on sometimes when I did this; but I seem to have it tamed now.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

It is the twisting of the knob that buggers it, as 850 combat says there is a knurled nut under the rubber boot and the reason it's only good for one adjustment is because the knob has been twisted.
                      They're plastic threads so don't go mad.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I replaced my choke cable because the previous one was too stiff/stuck all the time...probably the rust in there.

New one does not stay up hardly at all so I manually nurse it/hold it in place while she warms up. Not a big deal, better than having it stuck up in the on position.

Comment

choke won't stay pulled

Originally posted by 80gs1000e View Post
                          I replaced my choke cable because the previous one was too stiff/stuck all the time...probably the rust in there.

New one does not stay up hardly at all so I manually nurse it/hold it in place while she warms up. Not a big deal, better than having it stuck up in the on position.
                          I have a 1980 GS1000E, (I think E) My choke won't stay pulled either. I bought a tiny vicegrip from Harbor Fraight. I just clamp it on enough to hold it where I want it. To start, I only need to hold it out a second, Its not cold blooded at all. My 2005 GS500 has to sit and warm up 2 or 3 min. Cold Blooded as can be.
                          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                          Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

I took the cap off at the pull lever rapped some teflon tape around the top part so it had something to squeze around the shaft. That seems to work better,but a new cadle is probably in order because the little plastic tabs wear out.

Comment

Working...
                            X