I need help w/Dynajet 3 install on 79 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help w/Dynajet 3 install on 79 GS1000L

I'm hoping to get some help. I have a few questions I'm hoping some of the people who have been through this can help me with. First off I'm working on turning my 79 GS1000L into a hardtail bobber ( sacrilegious I know ). I am going with pods but plan at least at this point to retain the stock exhaust. I am replacing all o rings and as well as the boot o rings ( cycle o rings )
    I have never had a carb apart on anything before and am really having a tough time trying to follow the Dynajet instructions or lack there of. I have the carb bodies soaking in carb cleaner right now although to my eye they looked pretty clean

1st question. A 5/32 drill bit is provided, is this to drill enlarge the hole in the slide. I've read about this but no where in my instructions does it mention it.
    2nd. Does the pilot air screw just go back in to the factory setting.
    3rd. The instructions suggest 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. Does this sound about right with pods and stock exhaust.
    4th There are 2 sets of jets 138 and 142 which would be the right ones for my set up.
    5th Anything anybody can suggest in a general way that would be helpful, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 05:09 PM.

5th Anything anybody can suggest in a general way that would be helpful, I would appreciate it.

You should add rear shocks to the bike.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post

You should add rear shocks to the bike.
      That was pretty funny, I actually laughed out loud. Anything more to the point.

Comment

I have NO idea why you would have to drill the slide in your carbs.

I know you are supposed to drill the vent hole in the bottom of the slide in the CV-type carbs, but your bike should have VMs.

The jet sizes that you got translate to about 130 and 132.5 in Mikuni sizes. The '79 1000S had 95 main jets in the VM carbs. On the other hand, the '82 and '83 Katana 1000 had 110 and 112.5 jets for their CV carbs.

The "2 1/2 turns" setting makes sense for the mixture adjustment screw on the CV carbs, but the VM carbs have TWO screws to adjust. Your fuel screw (on the bottom) should go to about 1 turn, the air screw (on the side) should start about 2 turns.

I think you have the wrong kit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I double checked, I have the right kit. So Would I be correct in assuming that drilling the slide hole is not a part of the procedure with VM carbs. Thanks again for your response, I'm a real noob and just trying to learn as I go.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Quick guide on jet kit install with pics, but CV carbs

Nic
            Last edited by niclpnut; 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM.
            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
              Quick guide on jet kit install with pics, but CV carbs

Nic

Thanks, I saw that. I wish there was one the same step by step for the VM carbs.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2011, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I've got your back Duane.
                I've done the stage III on my 1000. We can tackle that.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                  I've got your back Duane.
                  I've done the stage III on my 1000. We can tackle that.
                  Thanks Billy, I'm looking forward to getting together with you.

Comment

Working...
                  X