450 carb not going back together smoothly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 carb not going back together smoothly

I've got them almost back together but when I put the float bowl back on, the needle jet seems to be blocking it. The needle jet is down as far as it will go, and the bowl will go down to about 1/4" from seated. Is this normal and you just have to muscle it in, or is something out of whack?

Is the jet rotated properly? I think there is a pin on the side to orient it.

Disclaimer: I have only worked on one set of 450 carbs and didn't like them because they were so different than what I usually work on.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't think it anything on it that would align it a certain way. I could be wrong though.

Comment

On the carbs for the larger bikes that I usually work on, there is a pin in the carb body. When the needle jet is lowered into place, there is a slot that goes over the pin, it keeps the needle jet from turning when you tighten the main jet into the end of the needle jet.

I do remember that the 450 carbs are different, I just don't remember the details. I think it was Flaming Chainsaws that wrote up a carb rebuild series for the 450, might try doing a search for it.

OK, did the first part of thet search for you, it's on BassCliff's site.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used that write up to do the cleaning and it doesn't mention any pin, that's why I don't think it has it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            I used that write up to do the cleaning and it doesn't mention any pin, that's why I don't think it has it
            No, there are no pins on these carbs. And the float bowl should just easily go on without having to force it. Hmmm... Are you sure the needle jet is all the way down? If yes, then maybe something else is blocking the float bowl from going in smoothly. Check it over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              No, there are no pins on these carbs. And the float bowl should just easily go on without having to force it. Hmmm... Are you sure the needle jet is all the way down? If yes, then maybe something else is blocking the float bowl from going in smoothly. Check it over again.
              Yeah, it's seated as far as it can go. The odd thing is that both carbs are like this.

Comment

Yeah, it's seated as far as it can go. The odd thing is that both carbs are like this.
                Strange... Mine just slid over perfectly. So... Are the needle jets stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                  Strange... Mine just slid over perfectly. So... Are the needle jets stock?
                  As far as I can tell. Only had it for a week.

Comment

As far as I can tell. Only had it for a week.
                    Maybe try posting a picture up? I wanna see it.

Try to get a picture of the float bowl and the needle jet area.

I'll ask this too, did they fit just fine when you removed them?

Comment

Are the floats in upside down?....

Comment

I've got them almost back together but when I put the float bowl back on, the needle jet seems to be blocking it. The needle jet is down as far as it will go, and the bowl will go down to about 1/4" from seated. Is this normal and you just have to muscle it in, or is something out of whack?
                        If you are trying to install the float bowls and have them rotated 180 degrees (backwards), they will only go on to about a quarter inch gap and not go all the way down.

If you removed the float needle seat and replaced those "O" rings and did not reinstall the seat fully. the bowls will also not go down into place.

The bowls should install with no more than light finger pressure. If they do not, then you have something installed incorrectly. Definitely, do not force anything together.

Can you post a pic?

Earl
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I may have narrowed it down. With the needle jet out and sitting in the float bowl where it should go, it stops about 1/4" from where it seems it should go. I'm assuming it should sit flush down on the surface there?

Comment

thats upside down to me

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                              thats upside down to me
                              That looks the right way to me... can you see anything that is obstructing it?

Comment

Working...
                              X