82 gs 850gl v&h 4:1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 850gl v&h 4:1

Bought a 4:1 collector for my 82 GS850 project. The collars on the collector where they enter the exhaust port itself are too large to go in...? Has anyone else experienced this ? Are the ports on this year smaller than the 81 ? I can turn the collars down a little to make them fit but a little worried about leaks if I get carried away.
    Todd

Originally posted by thausen View Post
    Bought a 4:1 collector for my 82 GS850 project. The collars on the collector where they enter the exhaust port itself are too large to go in...? Has anyone else experienced this ? Are the ports on this year smaller than the 81 ? I can turn the collars down a little to make them fit but a little worried about leaks if I get carried away.
    Todd
    You sure you have an 850 pipe? Sounds more likely to fit a 1000...

Comment

pipe

Dave,
      I bought the pipe new and it is the model # for the 850. Apparently, the ends are slightly too large maybe do to chroming after they are formed. The ports line up but the collars/going into the ports are just a hair too large. I just can't believe V/H sold a pipe this ****ty. Not typical for other bike's pipes from V/H I have installed over the years.

Comment

pipe

In case anyone is interested and runs into this.....the V/H pipe is poorly fabricated. A closer look revealed out of shape collars (entrance ends) on the header where it enters the ports. Die grinded them to even them out and correct for chroming getting them out of tolerance. They now slide right into the ports. Just poor design on V/H part.

Comment

Working...
        X