No announcement yet.

Steady Progress, but not there yet. Jets & Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I raised the needle when I first started this process, and if I remember right it was running way to rich. That was many adjustments ago. I'm pretty sure I returned the needles to the stock setting, but I'll make sure this weekend. All 4 pipes are hot after riding. That would indicate that all 4 cylinders are firing...right?

I checked the value clearance a month or two ago. Some were way off, and I switched the shims around and got them pretty close. I haven't rechecked the clearance. I know there were a couple gaps that were too big. I've got the correct size shims now, but I haven't installed them yet.

scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
      All 4 pipes are hot after riding. That would indicate that all 4 cylinders are firing...right?

scudder
      Not necessarily... Everything there conducts heat really well so a cylinder that isn't firing will still get quite hot.

A quick test is to turn it on and a minute later spray some water on the pipes, it should turn to steam pretty much on contact.

Comment

Thanks Adler. The second exhaust pipe was not hot, therefore cylinder # 2 is not firing or working. Now... what is my next step. I don't want to get in to deep. May have to seek professional help.

scudder

Comment

sounds like it's time to do a full dip and rebuild of the carbs with orings and all

Comment

First, Pull all your plugs and look at them. What color are they right now? White is lean. Black is rich. Brown is the right color.

For your cyl #2 problem, Grab an extra spark plug that you have laying around that you know is good and pull the plug wire off of all 4 plugs in the motor. Now, take that extra plug you have and go down the line, 1-4 and install the plug in the plug wire. You should have a plug wire with a spark plug attached to it now. Now, hold the plug against the head to ground it out and try starting the bike. Your looking for a nice strong spark on the spark plug. If you dont see a spark, you have an electrical problem. If you see a good spark coming from all 4 plug wires, then you *should* be alright in that department.

If its your #2 cyl that your having issues with, check your petcock. Is it a vaccuum type petcock or a On, Off, Pri style? If its a vac style, fuel could be going down the vac line and flooding out your #2 cyl.

While some could say that putting it back to stock is back tracking, in the long run, it will take less time to put it back to stock and get it running correctly in mechanically stock form.

Every engine needs 3 things to run: air, fuel, and spark. Trouble shoot the electrical first(spark), then look at air (pods/Stock air box), and then fuel.

If you need some help, PM me and Ill give you my phone number so you can call and we can talk about it. The biggest issue with bikes of our vintage is trying to find someone that will work on them. You cant just drop it of at the Suzuki Dealership and tell them to call you when its fixed. The mechanics of a bike is easy, you can fix this and we can help. I built a bike from the ground up using this forum, a Factory Service Manual, and some common sense. PM me if need be, I took this whole week off from work so I could ride now that the weather is in the 70's here; Ill be around. Somwhere.

Comment

Followed your advice and spark was good after changing the plugs, but like you mentioned the old plugs were black. Put in new plugs, reinstalled the box and rejetted to stock. Started right up, went to the expressway (the true test of roadworthiness in the Chicagoland area) and it definitely goes faster than 85mph. Acceleration was great, and I could tell immediately that the 78 was happier with the box on. As of now... the 78 is good to go. I can't thank you enough (all of you), for your help and generosity.

PS: I wish someone would have told me earlier to get rid of the pods and put on the air box. KIDDING, JUST JOKING! I humbly admit my ingnorance when it comes to motorcycle mechanics.

God Bless

Scudder

Comment

Glad everything worked out!

Now that its running, take some time and really read your "Mega Welcome" thread. Your initial time investment will pay off 10x over when your on the side of the road trying to troubleshoot an issue. Plug chops are something really easy to do and its an easy way to see how your bike is running in each of the fuel circuits. Look at your plug wires for cracks or signs of age. Check your intake boots and o-rings. Just because the boots are soft doesnt mean they are good. Check where the boot meets the mounting flange for cracks in the rubber.

Again: Fuel, Air, and spark are the basic requirements for a combustion engine. If you understand the mechanics of a combustion engine, and you trace each requirement back to its roots (ie: fuel, Starts at the tank, then the petcock, then the fuel hose, then carbs, etc.) Its a lot easier to track down a problem.

Good Luck and be safe.

Comment

Working...
                X