modified stock exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modified stock exhaust question

has anybody cut their stock megs down? I am thinking of cutting them off just behind the rear hanger, as that is where the last rust hole is, and something inside is making a lot of noise.

I will keep the airbox sooo....

well I did it, and I now know what was making the racket, the baffle tube in the small end of the r/h meg was rotted free and rattling around. when I cut the pipe 1in from the rear hanger this tube just fell out, so I cut the left baffle out with a hacksaw blade and about 8 strokes. I think it looks hot, like those rockets with the little pipes sticking out from under the swinger. I hope to post some pics soon. I may be adding aftermarket or homemade baffles, we will see how it goes

I was wondering what the experts recomend for a jet size to start with, keeping the airbox.

Comment

For the sake of motorcyclists everywhere, please put some mufflers on that beast of yours. It's your right to ride a motorcycle, but not to annoy everyone within earshot of your open exhaust.

Harley mufflers are typically very cheap to purchase and readily available. Any muffler guy should be able to weld them on for you for next to nothing.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did not ask for your opinion of my choice, and even as it is it is quieter than every harley in my neighborhood and there is one at every other house it seems.

I would still like to know what a good starting point for tuning would be

thanks for the advice in advance

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
          I did not ask for your opinion of my choice, and even as it is it is quieter than every harley in my neighborhood and there is one at every other house it seems.

I would still like to know what a good starting point for tuning would be

thanks for the advice in advance
          Sorry but I refuse to help people with open exhausts tune their bikes. Some of the more open minded folks around here might though.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As you are keeping the stock air box, I seriously doubt that it would need much if any jet changes.
            Perhaps a little richer on the air screws?
            Read the plugs after a ride or two.

Daniel

Comment

I cut down my stock mufflers about where you did and then ordered some 12" cheapo mufflers from JCwhitney. used the stock heat shield to cover up my ugly welds, Sounds good, had my buddy ride it up and down my street and it is much quieter than 3/4 of the bikes around. Not a expert on jetting but maybe go up a size on the mains, little out on the fuel screw . heres a pic of the mufflers if your interested

Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2011, 12:53 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Comment

I have friend that bought a "take off" HD Sportster muffler for $20.00 off of Ebay
                and installed it on his Suzuki 650 Savage.
                It sounds better than stock!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 8barreldart View Post
                  I cut down my stock mufflers about where you did and then ordered some 12" cheapo mufflers from JCwhitney. used the stock heat shield to cover up my ugly welds, Sounds good, had my buddy ride it up and down my street and it is much quieter than 3/4 of the bikes around. Not a expert on jetting but maybe go up a size on the mains, little out on the fuel screw . heres a pic of the mufflers if your interested

thats about what I have left. good looking bike btw, love it!

I stuck some 107.5 mains in and still lean, has no topend power, tops at a ton like it is out of breath, thinking 115 mains, helpful input welcome.

to Nessism and others,
                  I understand that a lot of people have issues with loud bikes. I dont live in california, there are no noise laws in the cornhusker state regarding motorcycles, and you cant hear my bike from 6 blocks away idling at a stoplight like a ton of the h-d's in my area. After riding around a bit yesterday I am aware of the fact that in order to be annoying I have to be speeding too or spending entirely too much time in 1st gear. oh yeah I just cant leave out all the rockets that run around without silencers at 10k+ rpms, you can hear some of them a mile off, IN TOWN.

Comment

You need to realize that in high performance motors (Suzuki vs HD), cylinder filling and evacuation are very dependant on exhaust back-pressure, which you have effectively eliminated. I doubt the motor will ever run very well without some back pressure restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                      You need to realize that in high performance motors (Suzuki vs HD), cylinder filling and evacuation are very dependant on exhaust back-pressure, which you have effectively eliminated. I doubt the motor will ever run very well without some back pressure restored.
                      agreed in order to make that motor run anywhere near correctly you are going to have to bring that exhaust system together some how to scavenge some back pressure, you can use some shorty mufflers , 0r even if you want it that loud see if you can find a four into one header and run it through an open meg or some thing the 4into 1 will work as a collector and create some back pressure.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                        Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        agreed in order to make that motor run anywhere near correctly you are going to have to bring that exhaust system together some how to scavenge some back pressure, you can use some shorty mufflers , 0r even if you want it that loud see if you can find a four into one header and run it through an open meg or some thing the 4into 1 will work as a collector and create some back pressure.
                        I totally agree!!!

My GS750B had a 4 into 1 exhaust with a large aftermarket can style muff of unknown brand, I fitted the wiseco 850bb kit to it approximately 2 years ago and at the same time I overhauled the head, valves, ignition was replaced with new coils (which were matched to the boyer brandsen electronic ignition that I had on it already).

I have K&N pods as well, and always found that it was a real PRICK to get it running right, even with all the "good tools", vacume synchroniser, colourtune plugs etc etc......

It was easy to tune but it was such a major pain in the ar5e to actually get it running right over all ranges. I could tune for low speed and it would be a dog at high speed, could tune for high speed and it was a dog down low, could tune for mid range and it was a total bastard at both high and low speed....... I was pulling my hair out and after about 15 jet changes, carby stripping, changing this, that and the other, I simply decided to just put up with it.

I recently got myself a parts bike which had a Tranzac system on it, and since the muff was much smaller than the one my GS750B had on it, I decided to "try it" on my bike, after all, what did I have to loose????

Well, the difference was UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I thought that my bike ran like an "older 850cc" after I did the motor to 850bb, but once the Tranzac was installed.... HOLEY CRAP!!!!

It goes SO NICE NOW!!!!

And it SOUNDS GOOD TOO!!!

My $0.02 (including G.S.T.)
                        Regards,
                        Andy
                        Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
                        GS750B (1977)
                        Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, I am not a performance tuner, just learning. Makes those baffles seem a bit more attractive...... Now to make or buy em? after seeing what was inside the originals, and a few cheapo's, I think I can make something like it.

I would like to note that I really like the way this looks, and just can not argue with how solidly the stock pipes are mounted, so the idea is to run with it, headaches and all.

heres to a new season of fun!

Comment

Backpressure bad! Velocity Good.
                            -1980 GS1100 LT
                            -1975 Honda cb750K
                            -1972 Honda cl175
                            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                              Backpressure bad! Velocity Good.

I dont understand, which is it. backpressure to scavenge or velocity, I thought backpressure helps with low end, velocity with high end.
                              the stockers have a tube about the diameter of the header tubes that runs all the way through from collector to last baffle, with a few holes in it, (part of the reason I didnt think it mattered that much, I could see all the way through the pipes) nothing but air pressure to slow the exhaust gasses, unlike harley pipes that have the tube blocked off to force the exhaust through the packing, or some cheapo's that use a screen rolled into a tube and attached to a washer or plate of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X