Carb mechanic wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb mechanic wanted

I am in need of a VERY well experienced carbs mechanic willing to make a house call. I want to learn about these things in a hands on environment. I am not looking for suggestions or a do this, do that response here..not gonna go there again. If anyone in the Central Texas area is willing to come by I will pay for gas and pay them to come and teach me how to figure out carb tuning and pilot and air screw adjusting.. PM me if your willing and i will forward you my personal in fi..Thanks, Chuck.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Just my opinion, but anything you're going to learn in an afternoon, you can find out by reading online. If you want in-depth knowledge, it's going to take more than you'll get in one shot, it'll take experience and practice.

Comment

Carbs...Ive worked on these and off for years and I've not had a problem that hasn't been caused by people messing with them, other than needing to be cleaned.
      However my last '1000s' rebuild I had a nightmare trying to tune up the carbs I even had the original in the day bearing and tubes balancer, I could not get it right. In the end I have an HC that is untouched and original with only 13k miles on it and I marked and very accurately measured the turns of the pilot and air screws and duplicated them to my carbs, they were all within a gnats cock of each other through all of them, then I bench sync'd them by winding off the idle adjuster and blowing through the stubs till I just, just got a seal on it by adjusting the top screw, did the same for all of them and the bike fired instantly and idled perfectly and I can hear each cylinder firing seperatly with the same beat and sound. To me it's perfect.
      I spent the whole morning arsing around trying to do it on the bike, got it close but not spot on. What I have described took twenty miniuts and it is perfect. My bikes are not here and I can't tell you what those screw settings are, but I'm sure someone can give you that info, but I will certainly pass that info on when I get back.
      Of course all this assumes you already have the correct jets fitted. Mine are all stock with no odd inlet setups as mine is only a road bike.
      I would wish you good luck but you don't need it, it'll be fine the way I've described
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

experience and practice is exactly what i am looking for..someone with lots of in depth EXPERIENCE to come over and in a hands on environment share that EXPERIENCE so i can get real time hands on PRACTICE.. So just how clearly do i need to keep saying that? I have read everything on Mikunis websites, every post in the stickies, have read all the posts about XXX and==== And &&&.. I am telling you i just dont comprehend WTF all these terms and processes mean and involve. If i did, then do you think i would have posted this in the first place. Now i am just feeling the frustration rebuilding becuase i cant get any help here!!l I have stated what i want and need .If anyone on the forum isnt willing then fine , i will take all mt bikes to the dearship then.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, at risk of upsetting you even more what happened to the work you did with RustyBronco at his house on the other bike? Is it because it's been awhile since you did it with him that you forgot? If someone comes and helps show you today but you don't use it again for another year, what good is it?

I don't think folks are saying they won't come help I just think they are saying that you just need to trust yourself. Get in and do it and if you happen to make a mistake then you can re-post asking for additional help. I understand you need to be shown, so do I in some cases.

For example, I watched CdNoel tear apart my carbs last year, I soaked them, and he put them back together and bench synched them for me. Yet I am in the middle of tearing them apart this weekend to paint them. I don't quite remember everything he did when bench synching them but I think I know a little. I'm still going to make the attempt and if I screw up then I know of two folks in my area (one is actually at work in Alaska/Japan) that might be able to help me. Plus, I can call Steve, Nessism, or post a question on here for advice.

Point is, make the attempt. If you screw it up so be it, you have ALOT of folks you can turn to afterwards. Plus you never know, you might surprise yourself and do okay with it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

TCK Pmed me the very detailed instructions on the HIGHEST RPM metod.Well i read that about 40 times till i thought i understood and tried that..Well i could have taken the air screws entirely out and the engine RPMS wouldnt have changed one bit..Full in and bottomed out or out 4 turns made absolutely not one change in sound or RPMs.. I took new plugs and put in and reset the pil,ot screws and the airscrews to a lot of the different settings and still not one difference, I took the carbs off the other 750 and set them exactly as the other bike i set and still nothing. All the orings and intale boot orings are new..the crabs arent all goobbered up, its just got me so angry that i really have just given up to try to un derstand ordo it on my own.Thats why i am so desperatey asking for an actual house call..other than that i really am not gonna deal with it anymore blindly ...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              TCK Pmed me the very detailed instructions on the HIGHEST RPM metod.Well i read that about 40 times till i thought i understood and tried that..Well i could have taken the air screws entirely out and the engine RPMS wouldnt have changed one bit..Full in and bottomed out or out 4 turns made absolutely not one change in sound or RPMs.. I took new plugs and put in and reset the pil,ot screws and the airscrews to a lot of the different settings and still not one difference,...
              Those screws are only for up to 2000rpm after that it doesn't matter, where they are, the carb mixture is set by main jet size and needle settings so essentially preset. then the only thing is synchronisation and I've described you a simple easy foolproof way of doing that.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

He showed me how to take them apart, use of the berrymans and how to reassemble them.. He set the settings and all the other stuff. He went on his computer and brought up some kind of chart and set them up according to what that chart told him..thats about all i know about settings. He also came over and vaccuum synced the 78and showed me exactly how its done and I know without a doubt now how to do this. The 77 750 crabs were sent out way before i knew of the GSR to WIRED GEORGE CARBS. The only thing that is 100 % sure is that this George dude has put the wrong jets in it according to the service manual at Cliff website and from all other literature i can find about the 77 750 B. The stock main is supposed to be a 100 and the bike has 110s in it. The pilot jets are supposed to be 15 and the bike has 17.5 in it. I have ordered the stock jetting from Z1 and they will be here tommorrow. I have repeatedly asked for any published info on the PILOT SCREW settings..all i keep getting is crap like..well i did this and that..or " i think they were this and that on my 1000.. Thats whats pizzing me off! ITS a 77 750..NOT your damned 1000!!! I dont need all the cross talk and crap house guessing. I want an answer to the specific issue at hand..thats all i am after here!!!!! The bike is a 1977 GS 750 B..all stock ignition..all stock airboxand fliters..all stock exhaust..Its an ALL STOCK bike. The question i specifically want answered for starters is this. Where do i set the pilot screw at for a 100% stock 77 750 B with VM26 carbs? Also, go to the thread "first ride of the season.".that pic of the plug is what my new ones looked like after a 24 mile ride at normal operating speeds.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Chuck, do you have a Clymers on this bike or does the local library have one (mine did - even earned "bonus bucks" for keeping it so long)? Get that and go from there but I'd be willing to bet it's the same settings as your other bike. Try it and see what happens.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

He showed me how to take them apart, use of the berrymans and how to reassemble them.. He set the settings and all the other stuff. He went on his computer and brought up some kind of chart and set them up according to what that chart told him..thats about all i know about settings. He also came over and vaccuum synced the 78and showed me exactly how its done and I know without a doubt now how to do this. The 77 750 crabs were sent out way before i knew of the GSR to WIRED GEORGE CARBS. The only thing that is 100 % sure is that this George dude has put the wrong jets in it according to the service manual at Cliff website and from all other literature i can find about the 77 750 B. The stock main is supposed to be a 100 and the bike has 110s in it. The pilot jets are supposed to be 15 and the bike has 17.5 in it. I have ordered the stock jetting from Z1 and they will be here tommorrow. I have repeatedly asked for any published info on the PILOT SCREW settings..all i keep getting is crap like..well i did this and that..or " i think they were this and that on my 1000.. Thats whats pizzing me off! ITS a 77 750..NOT your damned 1000!!! I dont need all the cross talk and crap house guessing. I want an answer to the specific issue at hand..thats all i am after here!!!!! The bike is a 1977 GS 750 B..all stock ignition..all stock airboxand fliters..all stock exhaust..Its an ALL STOCK bike. The question i specifically want answered for starters is this. Where do i set the pilot screw at for a 100% stock 77 750 B with VM26 carbs? Also, go to the thread "first ride of the season.".that pic of the plug is what my new ones looked like after a 24 mile ride at normal operating speeds.
                    My dammed 1000 is it? Well let me tell you chum the thing is that the theory is the same throughout!! your on your own!
                    sigpic

Comment

Heshowed me how to take them apart, use of the berrymans and how to reassemble them.. He set the settings and all the other stuff. He laso came over and vaccuum synced the 78 and showed me eaxctly what to do. I know without a doubt now how to do this. The 77 750 crabs were sent out way before i knew of the GSR to WIRED GEORGE CARBS. The only thing that is 100 % sure is that this george dude has put the wrong jets in it according to the service manual at Cliff website and from all other literature i can find about the 77 750 B. The stock main is supposed to be a 100 and the bike has 110s in it. The pilot jets are supposed to be 15 and the bike has 17.5 in it. I have ordered the stock jetting from Z1 and they will be here tommorrow. I have repeatedly asked for any published info on the PILOT SCREW settings..all i keep getting is crap like..well i did this and that..or " i think they were this and that on my 1000.. Thats whats pizzing me off! ITS a 77 750..NOT your damned 1000!!! I dont need all the cross talk and crap house guessing. I want an answer to the specific issue at hand..thats all i am after here!!!!! The bike is a 1977 GS 750 B..all stock ignition..all stock airboxand fliters..all stock exhaust..Its an ALL STOCK bike. The question i specifically want answered for starters is this. Where do i set the pilot screw at for a 100% stock 77 750 B with VM26 carbs?
                      For the fuel screw start with 5/8 to 7/8 turn out, the air screw 1 1/2. This will be close enough, as the screw positions have NO EFFECT on the wide open throttle where you are having problems. The air and fuel passages connected to these screws only have airflow through them when the throttle plate is closed or nearly so. There is no setting specified as they are tuned individually on each cylinder at the factory using exhaust analyzers once the engine is running. It is not a critical adjustment, unless you are trying to pass a sniff test, as long as it idles acceptably it's close enough. Again, it has NO EFFECT on normal running with the throttle open, it controls fuel and air only at idle or very very low throttle. The screw position is not your problem.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tatu read my siganture!! I got 2 DAMNED 1000s. I understand that the principle is all the same ..BUT the SETTINGS are not ALL THE SAME ..even from year to year models on the 750s they arent all the same... I wasnt insulting yiour 1000 or anyone else..GHEEZ!. I really just want 77 750 B information only plz.

Comment

Dale.. I dont think George swapped me carbs. The ones i sent in to him i looked over very carefully for a scratch or nick that would be a tell tell sign that i wasnt getting mine back. I know the history of the bike as well. The lady that my neighbor got it from had it in her garage. It was her dads, which he bought new and had died maybe 9 years earlier. It sat there untouched till John got it from her. John didnt do anything to it for 2 years and it just sat outside. He very shortly after that went to prison for the robberies and then i got it. The carbs i got back have the same marking i had looked for so they , to a 99.999 % certainty are the same ones i sent in and the factory carbs as well. We also know 1000% sure that the jets arent stock and most likely setup is for a 4 into 1 pipe..we established that yesterday and i ordered the stock ones.

Cowboy..I have been using the free download factory service manual on bikecliffs wbesite as a reference as well as all 750 carb referemces in the stickies...
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Well you seem very pleasant.

Comment

Tom I did the pilot jet settings from all the way from 1/2 out and then 1/8 adjustmenst out after that till i had gone a full 1 1/4 out... I took these carbs off so many times yesterday that i literally lost count!! And all reasonable patients as well. As far as i can gather from all the posts..and i sicerely do appreciate all of them.. that all this is adding up to at least 2 very major things..first being the BIG BIG discrepancy in the stated stock jets and whats actually in there, second..who knows where the air screws were originally at since i just arbitrarilly reset them to the stated settings over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X