Caps For Permanent Sync Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps For Permanent Sync Adapters

When I ordered my Morgan Carbtune, I got some brass sync adapters to mount permanently. I capped them with these...

The caps have cracked in the first 10 days. I noticed this when I was preparing to do another sync because my bike started running not quite like it was a couple of weeks ago. I guess the caps can't take the heat? Does anyone have an idea what rubber product would stand up better in this environment?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Why not just put the small allen bolts back in ? It's not that difficult to remove them and install the brass adapters when you want to do a sync.......
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have the temporary brass adapters and a permanent set. I got the permanent ones because it's pretty hard to fiddle with the allen bolts, at least for me. It' not so much taking them out but getting numbers 2 and 3 back in is a pain. They have to be lined up perfectly to get the threads started and you have to have an allen wrench just the right length and some way to keep the bolt and little washer from falling off and getting lost. (I use chewing gum). I hoped the permanent brass adapters would make it less of a headache. I'm wondering if I just got a bad batch of rubber vacuum caps
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Hi-temp rubber caps:
        McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

About ten bucks for 100...

I'd probably just push on some fuel line and cap it with a bolt if it's a nice day to go riding.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you very much Brian. You've provided the perfect answer.
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

The heat-resistant ones will withstand 600 Degrees F for 10 minutes while the chemical resistant ones will withstand 475 degrees for 10 minutes. Since I occasionally get a little gas (from a backfire I guess) in those caps, I got the chemical resistant ones. I figure if they will withstand 475 degrees for 10 minutes, they ought to be okay at 200 degrees all day. How hot do you suppose those little brass adapters get?
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Good spot -- I think the chemical resistant ones would be the better choice here.

Even though you don't see much liquid gasoline at these ports, they do spend every running moment exposed to gasoline vapor, which will damage sensitive materials even faster.

I don't think the brass adapters would get near the boiling point unless you have something else seriously wrong, like the engine's on fire.
              Last edited by bwringer; 03-20-2011, 01:03 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                It' not so much taking them out but getting numbers 2 and 3 back in is a pain.
                Use a length of rubber fuel hose that fits around the cap head and your problems are solved!

Comment

Working...
                X