Carb boots are discontinued, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb boots are discontinued, now what?

So the carb boots need replaced on my 85 gs700e. The shop said the inners were discontinued so I searched around online and babbits had them listed so I ordered them. Well today I got an email that the parts are discontinued.

So now what? Are there any others from other models that will work or am I forced to go to pod filters? If so I guess it will be a while before I get the bike back on the road since I dont have 200 bucks for K&N filters + a jet kit

Im going to try to push and prod around on the carbs and airbox and see if I can get the old ones to work again just for the time being but the seem too short for the inner boots to reach the carbs so I dont know.
    ---Eric

Hi,

The '83 GS750ED and ESD use the same intake boots (called "outlet tube" in the fiche). But, of course, those parts are no longer available either.

Is there really that much difference that you can't use the outside tubes for the inside also? I can't find any superseded part numbers either. That's really inconvenient. A good used set might be an option, if you can find one. Sorry.

Part# 13882-31300 TUBE, OUTLET OUTSIDE
    Part# 13881-31300 TUBE, OUTLET INSIDE (NLA)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check with Z1 Enterprises. Last year I tried to order airbox boots for an 1100E from babitts and after a month of waiting and no parts I called them. I was told zook had consolidated a number of parts warehouses over here and stuff was moved and whatever and getting them might take a while if they could get them at all. I called Rob at Z1 and he found them and had them to me in ten days IIRC.

Another option is to check around. Recently I bought some intake boots meant for a snow mobile that were the same size and bolt spread as the stockers. They still work just fine.

Comment

Shoot Z1 an e-mail, they will do what they can. I have yet to send out a messga I didn't get a proper answer for. Z 1 is the way to go...

Comment

Thanks guys, Im sending Z1 and email right now. I was able to get the stock ones to bolt back up but it was a major pain in the butt. Im charging the battery now and will see if she fires back up shortly.
          ---Eric

Comment

Well no luck at all. i guess Ill just have to use the stock ones until I can afford pods.

On a plus she did fire right up for me after I got the carbs primed. Rode around town last night actually.
            ---Eric

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, I am really curious if a radiator hose would work, you could put a larger ring around the out side to form a seal on the air box side with some sealent. If it was done right it would'nt look too bad beside no one would see it but a nit picker and who cares what they think anyhow. As long as you get a good seal. The right size hose may even fit tight. My air box hoses are getting stiff they are 31 y/o so...

Comment

I seem to recall someone soaked theirs in some kind of solution to
                "refresh" them.Sorry don't remember the details,maybe someone else
                can chime in who remembers.
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Yeah, i think people soak them in hot water, or oil.....
                  Others take a blow drier to them, to heat them up and make them easier to put on.

Your only other option....

1.)motorcycle junkyards
                  2.)Ebay

You can definitely find some nicer carb boots from junk bikes.....it just depends on your luck.
                  (not all bikes deteriorate at exactly the same rate....valuable parts are usually pulled off from junk cars/bikes, and stored for individual sale.)

There is a massive Jap bike junkyard in South Carolina somewhere, they have a website, but I'm not sure if you can order online.....

Ebay always has carb boots from my experience, but you're probably going to pay.....

Comment

Thanks guys.

Im about to just try some cheaper pods for the time being until I can afford K&N
                    ---Eric

Comment

$200? The pods are $110 and all you'll have to do is up the main a step...$10 if that much.

But no, there's no boots out there. I have seen people glue schedule 40 pvc to the airbox ports and use 2 1/8" line tubing to tie the carbs to the airbox. They did it to make velocity stacks but the effect was the same.

Comment

Hey Sparky, I might have some layin around in the garage. I'll be cleaning it out tomorrow to move so if I find my originals that are in great shape you can have them for shipping, flat rate USPS.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

These filters work pretty well so long as you keep them clean, oiled, and covered with something like a sock or such.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                            $200? The pods are $110 and all you'll have to do is up the main a step...$10 if that much.
                            Where are they at for $110? All I can find is like $192

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                            Hey Spanky, I might have some layin around in the garage. I'll be cleaning it out tomorrow to move so if I find my originals that are in great shape you can have them for shipping, flat rate USPS.
                            Hey thanks man, and its Sparky not Spanky. Im not a little rascal lol

Z1 has EMGO pods for like 8 bucks each but Ive heard not so good things from this forum about them
                            Last edited by Sparky; 03-18-2011, 10:14 PM.
                            ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                              Where are they at for $110? All I can find is like $192

Hey thanks man, and its Sparky not Spanky. Im not a little rascal lol

Z1 has EMGO pods for like 8 bucks each but Ive heard not so good things from this forum about them

I know I was watching little rascals on TV when I posted that actually lol. I think that's why I did it subconsciencely.
                              Now I'm gonna have I got a pickle stuck in my head tonight.

and the EMGO pods I'm running, if you take and stuff the top inside with filter like foam they work fine. They're cheap so they don't seal around the cap and just suck too much air in. Mine are stuffed completely and oiled and work fine now, however I'm going back to the airbox.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X