Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airbox/Carb disassembly w/pics... Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use the search feature and type in keyword and any thread with the words in it will pop up for you too choose from..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      A 1000 should give nice, seamless torque from about 3,500 rpm up past redline

Have you checked out BassCliff's site for

1. Valve adjustment
      2. Carb cleaning
      3. Needle shimming
      4. Airbox weatherstripping

Also, you should replace the gasket on the cam chain tensioner. Nice oil leak there

Oh, nice bike! 850 Combat is already jealous
      Yep, I've spent several hours on his site which is what prompted the ordering if the o-rings. Thanks for the advice on the oil leak. I wanted to ask about that, but didn't want to ask too many questions at once.
      Nice too see another Oregonian!

Comment

So, a trip to Home Depot is in order

You'll probably want to "rebuild" your cam chain tensioner also, it's basically a cleaning and an O ring
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

what year is the bike..i looked at the original post but didnt see it..
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            what year is the bike..i looked at the original post but didnt see it..
            Sorry
            It's an 80.

Comment

go here

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                I've spent lots of time there.
                TONs of information.
                Thanks!

Comment

The oil in your air box is probably from your breather hose, coming off the valve cover.
                  For a temporary fix, I disconnected the hose and added a extension hose coming from the valve cover and ran it out so it came out below the engine, then plugged the hole on the air box.

Comment

The oil issue in the airbox.. The breather tube should be hooked to the nipple at the top middle of the box. That tube sucks un burnt gas vapor that may get past the valves out of the engine , and as mentioned a while back( in a different post) the bit of oil it sucks helps to lubricate the carb slides. I suggest that if theres a lot .. and by a lot i mean like maybe a teaspoon full... i would go up stream to the breather cover on top of the cam cover. Inside that cover there are recesses for a wire mesh to be packed in there. The wire mesh easily lets air pass thru but tends to trap the heavier oil and then the oil drips down back into the engine. Now if the mesh is gone there isnt anything to keep the airbox from sucking a lot of oil right down the tube and into the airbox. Take alook and see if the mesh is in BOTH sides and that the gasket also is in good shape..I have seen the gaskets soaked thru with oil and still in tact but otherwise useless.. it was engineered that way for a reason is what i always say. dont take shortcuts if you want it done right.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gssheller View Post
                      Ok. I was worried that the filter was perhaps OVER oiled as the bottom of the airbox is covered in oil.

Also, did you happen to look at the picture where I asked about the weather stripping? Anxious to get a response as to whether or not its missing. Thanks a TON!
                      The missing weather stripping could be the culprit in the flat spot
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks for all the advice/help. I should have the o-rings in the mail early next week and reassembly begins. Weather strip already in hand. New stainless steel 6mm allen wrench screws in hand. (i read plenty about folks having to use a dremel to cut out a screwdriver notch in the boot screws. I got lucky because the screwdriver that comes in the under seat tool kit fits perfectly.)
                        Now just waiting...
                        Nicest weather of the year today and bikes in pieces...

Comment

At least you got your tool kit...lol.

I got nothing.

I was lucky enough to be able to justify the hundred dollar screwdriver set that just so happened to have the right bit...lmao!

Comment

I would also suggest you get a decent quality ( like craftsman ) impact driver. Get one that has the screw driver head removeable. Mine you can take the screwdriver head off and you got a 3/8 drive impct that you can put sockets on as well..very very handy option too!! By screwdriver head i mean the collar that you put the variuos bits in..you know what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              I would also suggest you get a decent quality ( like craftsman ) impact driver. Get one that has the screw driver head removeable. Mine you can take the screwdriver head off and you got a 3/8 drive impct that you can put sockets on as well..very very handy option too!! By screwdriver head i mean the collar that you put the variuos bits in..you know what i mean.
                              I have the exact tool you speak of and have gotten plenty of use out of it. Just not on this bike...yet.

Comment

Just not on the bike..yet. You will!!

Comment

Working...
                                X