Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airbox/Carb disassembly w/pics... Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody has mentioned the carb slides, but their proper operation is crucial for normal throttle response. If you have a stiff slide or leaking diaphragm, you would experience problems similar to what you describe. The movement of air through the venturi is directed to the slide diaphragm which then opens the slide. If the slide hesitates, the effect is a lack of power/response at lower rpm.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Just not on the bike..yet. You will!!
      I going to chose to live under the illusion that I bought a bike that has been perfectly maintained... Until proven otherwise.
      Kidding, I'm doing every ounce of preventive maintenance recommended!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        Nobody has mentioned the carb slides, but their proper operation is crucial for normal throttle response. If you have a stiff slide or leaking diaphragm, you would experience problems similar to what you describe. The movement of air through the venturi is directed to the slide diaphragm which then opens the slide. If the slide hesitates, the effect is a lack of power/response at lower rpm.
        Something else to look at... Thanks!

Comment

Hold a flashlight against the diaprams in a darkroom and look them over real well for pin holes.. and be sure they are seated properly in the tops of the carbs and dont get crinkled or pinched up when you put the covers back on..want them nice and flat around the edges..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice bike. I have a black and gold 1000G in Tillamook. Your throttle response issues are normal for a bike that has been sitting and are related to the air box air leaks, boot air leaks, and pilot circuit gummyness. Once you address these things, there may be some residual leanness from the K&N and the missing snorkle on the back of the airbox. It is my experience that the snorkle is needed for the stock jetting to work right.

I would get all the carb cleaning done and the sealing and O rings done, and valves adjusted before moving away from stock jetting though. Stock jetting works great if the other stuff is good.

What did you have to give for that thing of beauty / work of art?

Goodness gracious, are you putting the carbs on top of the tank for photos? It looks like a nice clean tank.

Be sure to download the parts book from Cliff's site, and the GS850G factory manual. The parts book is often more handy than a manual to see what is suposed to be there.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              Nice bike. I have a black and gold 1000G in Tillamook. Your throttle response issues are normal for a bike that has been sitting and are related to the air box air leaks, boot air leaks, and pilot circuit gummyness. Once you address these things, there may be some residual leanness from the K&N and the missing snorkle on the back of the airbox. It is my experience that the snorkle is needed for the stock jetting to work right.

I would get all the carb cleaning done and the sealing and O rings done, and valves adjusted before moving away from stock jetting though. Stock jetting works great if the other stuff is good.

What did you have to give for that thing of beauty / work of art?

Goodness gracious, are you putting the carbs on top of the tank for photos? It looks like a nice clean tank.

Be sure to download the parts book from Cliff's site, and the GS850G factory manual. The parts book is often more handy than a manual to see what is suposed to be there.
              Great to see another Oregon bike!
              No, I didn't take the pictures on the tank. They were on the hood of my Jeep. Its a trail rig, so if a couple scratches happen, they well never be noticed!
              Yes, the tank is nice and clean! I've almost got the water marks polished out.
              I am going to keep this bike stock, so no crazy jets here. Now just gotta find the snorkel!
              You have quite a collection. Perhaps a ride to Tilly town some time to check it out?

Comment

what year is the bike..i looked at the original post but didnt see it..
                For what its worth, on an 850/1000G, round chrome turn signals = pre 1981, rectangular black turn signals (with running lights in front) = 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Gssheller View Post
                  Great to see another Oregon bike!
                  No, I didn't take the pictures on the tank. They were on the hood of my Jeep. Its a trail rig, so if a couple scratches happen, they well never be noticed!
                  Yes, the tank is nice and clean! I've almost got the water marks polished out.
                  I am going to keep this bike stock, so no crazy jets here. Now just gotta find the snorkel!
                  You have quite a collection. Perhaps a ride to Tilly town some time to check it out?
                  Why not?

Lots of good riding in the area. I'm out of town for at least a couple more weeks.

Comment

In an effort to try to solve one problem with one solution, I sealed the air box using auto grade weather stripping. (sorry Lowes, felt better about auto grade) and the air intake boot o-rings, and took the bike for a ride between rain bursts.
                    This is a completely different bike now. All sorts of power. The difference is amazing!
                    Ive got to admit that the air box sealing is very counter intuitive. Ive spent the last 25 years trying to get MORE air, not restricting it. It sure goes to show these bikes are all about balance!
                    Not wanting to wait until there is a problem, the carbs, electrical, and brakes/wheels are next.
                    Happy to have this one handled. Thanks again!
                    I'll get a couple pictures once I get them off my phone.

Comment

It is counter intuitive.

I think the deal is that the air that emulsifies the pilot jet fuel moves in from an air jet inside of the airbox. Without a vacuum in the air box, more air would move through the passage and lean out the pilot circuit, I guess.

There is a good section on these carbs in the Suzuki GS850 manual on Cliff's site.

I'm glad you have it working well.

Where did you get the weather stripping? I have used the hardware stuff with success, but have a conceren about how long it will last.

Also, is that the bike that was for sale in Craig's List?
                      Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        It is counter intuitive.

I think the deal is that the air that emulsifies the pilot jet fuel moves in from an air jet inside of the airbox. Without a vacuum in the air box, more air would move through the passage and lean out the pilot circuit, I guess.

There is a good section on these carbs in the Suzuki GS850 manual on Cliff's site.

I'm glad you have it working well.

Where did you get the weather stripping? I have used the hardware stuff with success, but have a conceren about how long it will last.

Also, is that the bike that was for sale in Craig's List?
                        Yes, for sale in the Salem craigslist. Don't worry, I don't pay retail for anything.
                        The weather stripping was found @ Napa here in Mac. They are a real hardware store with walls and bins of everything. I was able to match the o-rings there too.
                        To add.. BikeCliff's site is the reason I went searching for a GS in the first place! Amazing source of information!

Comment

Hopefully, the O rings were Viton. Buna N or Nitrile won't do

It is a nice looking bike, anyway, and you rode it home, so how bad can it be?

Comment

Here is a picture of the resealed airbox. I was really pleased with how tightly the auto weather stripping sealed.
                            I was pretty anal about making sure that the adhesive was toward the outside edge. Made for some detailed cuts and was a PITA, but I really like how it finished up. I know, I know, I hear it from my wife all the time...

Here is a new intake o-ring next to an old one. They weren't as bad as I've seen in some of the pictures, but they were flat and somewhat hard. You can see the new ones are much more robust! Another camera phone picture so kinda blurry, but you get the idea.

I should be able to get onto the carbs pretty soon. The bike seems to be running pretty well right now. I'm looking to get another set of carbs to rebuild and transfer onto the bike. That way I can ride and have a back-up all the time!!
                            Thanks again for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be needing much more!!
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Awesome job..just add a strip of weather strip along the sharp edge of the filter rack ledge as well..right in the center of the airbox opening..youll see what i mean. youll probably have to trim the ends back when you try to put the covers on.It will too thick if the weatherstrip overlaps..youll figure it out. Youve displayed your craftiness enough that we trust you..LOL OR you can add a strip in the center of the cover as well that will seal against that edge too. That thin edge needs sealed to prevent air from bypassing the filter.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Awesome job..just add a strip of weather strip along the sharp edge of the filter rack ledge as well..right in the center of the airbox opening..youll see what i mean. youll probably have to trim the ends back when you try to put the covers on.It will too thick if the weatherstrip overlaps..youll figure it out. Youve displayed your craftiness enough that we trust you..LOL OR you can add a strip in the center of the cover as well that will seal against that edge too. That thin edge needs sealed to prevent air from bypassing the filter.
                                Sorry I forgot to mention that... The airbox foam was hard as a brick and was replaced also. To sum it up, my airbox is now as tight as... You get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X