Split Petcock Vacuum Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Petcock Vacuum Hose

In the process of re-doing my carbs, I happened to notice the vacuum hose was split where it attaches to the carb. I presume this does not help.
    1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

man that really sucks.

Get a new one.

no sure of the ID but any line rigid enough to be used as a vacumm line should suffice.

Comment

Hi,

From "Where Do These Hoses Go?":

The vacuum fitting is 6mm. Some 1/4" hose is too loose (1/4" = 6.35mm), but some brands are a little tighter and work fine. (NOTE: I found some 7/32" hose at the local Ace Hardware store that worked perfectly.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks, good information. I was somewhat surprised these connections did not have clamps. I may use some spare wire (I have even been known to use bread-tie wire on small hoses ) to better secure this hose.

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

eww ties..... the fitment of the hose is such that it barely comes off when new. No ties needed. The things swell up and soften over time.

Get Thee a new one. Or just cut out the split part if you have enough slack.

Comment

Well, I do strip the cover off of them first...usually

I will have to replace it, not enough slack.

Comment

You may not realize it, but you probably solved yourself a very big headache stumbling on that split line. I had a vacuum leak in my No. 2
              Cylinder and found a small tube sticking out of the No. 2 sync port. Made a big difference in it running.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                You may not realize it, but you probably solved yourself a very big headache stumbling on that split line. I had a vacuum leak in my No. 2
                Cylinder and found a small tube sticking out of the No. 2 sync port. Made a big difference in it running.
                Thanks. I was wondering how much of a difference that could make. I've suspected my problem to be primarily air leakage, but the new intake tubes and o-rings improved but did not solve the condition. The first 3 carbs I've stripped are in good condition, no blockages and the o-rings seem supple. I'm going to clean and replace them all anyway. Maybe this split vacuum tube will be the answer. We'll see this week.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  man that really sucks.

Umm -- yeah, vacuum leaks always kinda suck...
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

With a leaky vacuum line you will never be able to sync the carbs

Comment

Make sure the new hoses (might as well replace the fuel line too) are not too long and kink when you put the tank back on. BTDT .

Edit: Nothing wrong with a clamp. Make sure you have the tool to remove the clamp in your on-board tool kit. Just in case....
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi,

The vacuum fitting is 6mm. Some 1/4" hose is too loose (1/4" = 6.35mm), but some brands are a little tighter and work fine. (NOTE: I found some 7/32" hose at the local Ace Hardware store that worked perfectly.)
                        Hey Cliff, is this measurement the same across the board? I need to replace my vacuum line on the 550T as well.

Thanks.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Make sure the new hoses (might as well replace the fuel line too) are not too long and kink when you put the tank back on. BTDT .

Edit: Nothing wrong with a clamp. Make sure you have the tool to remove the clamp in your on-board tool kit. Just in case....
                          Thanks, I had planned to replace the fuel hose while I had them both off and easy to get to.

I guess the question "to clamp or not to clamp" will depend on how well the new hose fits.

Comment

Working...
                          X