No announcement yet.

1979 GS750L - Fuel leaking from carb 1 when running or on PRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well got the bowl off and fuel stops flowing if I manually push the float up, simulating a full bowl. So, stuck float? It's the old plastic kind, doesn't appear to be cracked though.

Comment

Shake the float next to your ear..ifm its been compromised youll hear fuel in it swishing..vigorously..any noise and it has fuel in it,,doesnt have to look cracked to be bad.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Shake the float next to your ear..ifm its been compromised youll hear fuel in it swishing..vigorously..any noise and it has fuel in it,,doesnt have to look cracked to be bad.
        I moved the bowl a bit while it was dangling from the carb, doesnt appear to have any fluid in it. Put it all back together, and now it appears to be working well.

I think that some crap was clogging and stopping the pin that the float touches and prevented the float from rising and stopping the fuel. I'll have to do a full teardown next weekend. The carbs were just cleaned last weekend, so the new buildup is likely due to junk in the fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Yes, float needle not sealing. Most likely crud from the tank is fouling the works.
          Thank you, i believe you were right.

Comment

Well we already posted about the screen and the possibilities of the tank being in need of some attention..Glad that at least for now you can ride it again.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Well we already posted about the screen and the possibilities of the tank being in need of some attention..Glad that at least for now you can ride it again.
              Yep, until next time :-D

Comment

Our pleasure..post back as to what you find upon inspection of the tank and the petcock screen...and clean the screens in the float seats too while your at it..all 4 carbs really need a lookingb at as far as screens and good float heights.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. breckenedge,

The floats are not adjusted by a screw. You must bend a tab on the float assembly. See: Float Height Illustrations on my little website. You'll also find the a VM carb manual and the cleaning tutorial.

Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff for the links, they're invaluable! Great website.

Comment

Working...
                    X