Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Comer with Carb. Problem

Hello Fellow GS enthusiast

My name is Manny I own a GS and have a problem with the Carburetors, The bike has been in storage for quite a bit with old gas in carbs., i recently replaced the battery,spark plugs, replaced gas and drained the bowls. When i first attempted to get the bike running it was leaking fuel out of one of the carburetors but revved up to 6000rpm+ so i had a friend of mine remove the carbs which was not easy and check the float pin which he said was not closing so he cleaned the bowl and got the pin functioning again, he also removed the other 3 bowls just to remove any loose debri but did not touch any setting nor remove and thing else.
    Cold Engine
    So once he put the carbs back in we fired up the bike with new gas and idled perfectly fine problems was when the bike was reved, it would not go past 3500rpms and tons of misfiring also when the rpm was held around say 2300rpms the idle would slowly drop as if it was starving. With the chock all the way up i could get the rpms to 4000rpms but if i tried to rev the engine it would go up a little misfire(Blue flames came from exhaust while reving) and it would feel as if the motor wanted to die, when i held the throttle all the way back the bike would misfire then rev 6000rpm+
    Hot Engine
    When warm it seemed worse would not rev as high as cold and harder to get revs up, also pulling throttle all the way back would instantly decrease rpms to the point of stalling engine. The chock how ever will still bring the rpms to 4000rpms

One thing that might be a problem is the air intake boot is not fully over rear of carb because the bike has a oil cooler and the tube is stiff and would not allow boot to fully cover carb. This is however the air filter side not the engine side. Also i thought of the vacuum operated petcock I then removed the tank plugged the vacuum line and used a funnel attached to fuel line for the fuel. We have also removed the screws from the bowls and measured fuel inside bowls which came out to about 2OZ each bowl.
    Would anyone have any ideas on what to look at next??

Hi Mr. WeekendProject,

The carbs must be cleaned properly. A healthy GS starts with properly cleaned carbs. Properly cleaned carbs are mandatory for a good running GS motorcycle. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest you clean the carbs properly. Wait....what was I saying? Oh yes, clean the carbs!

You'll find the proper procedure in the links below along with a lot more useful information. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

TWO minutes!

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2011, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendProject View Post
        Hello Fellow GS enthusiast

My name is Manny I own a GS and have a problem with the Carburetors, The bike has been in storage for quite a bit with old gas in carbs., i recently replaced the battery,spark plugs, replaced gas and drained the bowls. When i first attempted to get the bike running it was leaking fuel out of one of the carburetors but revved up to 6000rpm+ so i had a friend of mine remove the carbs which was not easy and check the float pin which he said was not closing so he cleaned the bowl and got the pin functioning again, he also removed the other 3 bowls just to remove any loose debri but did not touch any setting nor remove and thing else.
        Cold Engine
        So once he put the carbs back in we fired up the bike with new gas and idled perfectly fine problems was when the bike was reved, it would not go past 3500rpms and tons of misfiring also when the rpm was held around say 2300rpms the idle would slowly drop as if it was starving. With the chock all the way up i could get the rpms to 4000rpms but if i tried to rev the engine it would go up a little misfire(Blue flames came from exhaust while reving) and it would feel as if the motor wanted to die, when i held the throttle all the way back the bike would misfire then rev 6000rpm+
        Hot Engine
        When warm it seemed worse would not rev as high as cold and harder to get revs up, also pulling throttle all the way back would instantly decrease rpms to the point of stalling engine. The chock how ever will still bring the rpms to 4000rpms

One thing that might be a problem is the air intake boot is not fully over rear of carb because the bike has a oil cooler and the tube is stiff and would not allow boot to fully cover carb. This is however the air filter side not the engine side. Also i thought of the vacuum operated petcock I then removed the tank plugged the vacuum line and used a funnel attached to fuel line for the fuel. We have also removed the screws from the bowls and measured fuel inside bowls which came out to about 2OZ each bowl.
        Would anyone have any ideas on what to look at next??
        BassCliffs website

What bike are you talking about?

Everything you mention are symptom of lean running. But, you approaching the solution incorrectly.

You need to

1. Take the carbs off, take then completely apart and dip them. (didn't someone mention that?)
        2. New O rings in carbs
        3, Probably new intake boots
        4. Seal up the airbox
        5. Adjust the valves

And, at least a dozen other things
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

In my short time owning this bike, it's become VERY apparent how important a good, thorough cleaning of the carbs is

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            BassCliffs website

What bike are you talking about?

Everything you mention are symptom of lean running. But, you approaching the solution incorrectly.

You need to

1. Take the carbs off, take then completely apart and dip them. (didn't someone mention that?)
            2. New O rings in carbs
            3, Probably new intake boots
            4. Seal up the airbox
            5. Adjust the valves

And, at least a dozen other things

Yes this. We get a LOT of newbies around here that did just what you did: a short cut carb cleaning job, only to find they have to do the job twice now. Cycleorings.com sells an O-ring kit and Basscliff's link will take you to a carb rebuild tutorial. This a mandatory business so have fun with it.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just went thru this myself and its imperative that they are 100% taken apart, soak all the parts that are metal in berrymans carb dip for at least 24 hrs..then each carb body for 24 hrs. rinse well in hot water, then some carbs spray in all the passages, then blow with compressor very well. Spray all the needles down with the spray and air dry as well. Take a small wire and clean all the holes and passages in the jets and do the same cleaning with them. New orings throughout and your in the money then.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great sites!Yea i figured thats what i would need to do. Just why would it now create a problem?? Was fine and no settings were touched?

? Does the air filter side boots make that big a difference in the carbs even if the box was removed
                I did see the sealing of the airbox but what about open box K&N filters.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  TWO minutes!

BassCliff

That's fast!

Comment

It sat with gas in it

The carbs are plugged up

Yes, very important

Rejet for pods
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggle View Post
                      That's fast!
                      He seams to get faster by the day , not sure but this might have been a record.Although I feel neglected, I have been on the forum for almost a year now and still never got my welcome, I had to copy and save someone else's to have access to all that valued information.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        He seams to get faster by the day , not sure but this might have been a record.Although I feel neglected, I have been on the forum for almost a year now and still never got my welcome, I had to copy and save someone else's to have access to all that valued information.
                        Hi,

My apologies to you Mr. hjfisk. There are several reasons why a new member might not receive their own "mega-welcome". In your case, you have started exactly 6 threads, none of them in the "GS Owners" section to properly introduce yourself. Most of your threads were started in the "Parts Wanted", "Parts for Sale", or "Off Topic" sections, which I rarely visit. In the one thread you started in the "Tires/Suspension" section, it could be by then that you had so many posts that I might've thought you had already received your "mega-welcome".

Currently, it seems that all but a few of your 250 posts were in other people's threads. I usually welcome new members in their own threads so as not to hijack (like I'm doing now).

So, if you like, post up an introduction thread in the "GS Owners" section and I'll be glad to welcome you properly.

Anyone can simply bookmark my little website (link below), then click on the READ ME page to peruse the "mega-welcome". Please let me know if you see any broken links or outdated information.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

My apologies to you Mr. hjfisk. There are several reasons why a new member might not receive their own "mega-welcome". In your case, you have started exactly 6 threads, none of them in the "GS Owners" section to properly introduce yourself. Most of your threads were started in the "Parts Wanted", "Parts for Sale", or "Off Topic" sections, which I rarely visit. In the one thread you started in the "Tires/Suspension" section, it could be by then that you had so many posts that I might've thought you had already received your "mega-welcome".

BassCliff
                          How do you keep track of this stuff? maybe you need another hobby!

P.S. I stumbled across your site before I found this one. Thanks for the great info- it sure makes life easier.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            How do you keep track of this stuff? maybe you need another
                            Hi,

That information is easy to look up. But sometimes some forum information/posts are lost if there is a problem with the website and it has to be restored from backup (beyond my control). It seems some introductory posts from Mr. hjfisk are missing. But that's OK. We worked it out.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X