Fuel Level - Searched but still don't understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adler View Post
    Well, that is true in theory, but in reality the fuel will not come up to EXACTLY the same level as in the bowl, it looses some height to little things (like pretty much all physics). I bet that if you had a small diameter tube and you used a meter of it, you'd start to notice a difference.

Of course for our purposes the loss is minimal.
    There's no loss, as there is no movement of the water in the tube. Once it finds it's level there is no liquid flowing. Water levels have been used since Egyptian times, as they are as accurate as any and can be used over long distances, just as both sides of a lake are level no matter how wide the lake.
    You could use a tube a mile long and it wouldn't matter, it would read accurately once it found it's level. It would just take a very long time for it to find it's level. If you don't believe this go play with a garden hose until you do.

The only error is that if too small diameter tubing is used capillary action will pull the liquid up a little higher in the tube, but this would effect all the tubes equally so it really doesn't matter.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      ... I bet that if you had a small diameter tube and you used a meter of it, you'd start to notice a difference.

Of course for our purposes the loss is minimal.
      If you used a small-enough diameter tube, gas won't go past the first millimeter, you wouldn't need a full meter to notice.

However, I was restricting my observations and comments to materials that would likely be used by the average GS owner.

You want to get technical, I can get technical, too, but let's keep it real, OK?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It wasnt SNARLY..It was just asking if you understood why they want it done on a running bike..YOU didnt provide enough of a statement to clarify that you knew the reasoning or even that the manual said to do it that way. Please post clearly what you mean and others wont over post your intelligence. If you notice that when i reply i give my experience and the reasons and evidence behind what i am posting my experience on.. Too many times i read very vague and blanket statements like a parrot repeating what the owners have taught them to say.. And that wasnt an attack at you personally..relax.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wow, a guy asks a simple question and we start being accused of snarkiness. It must be spring time.

Thanks for the information guys and I'll see what I can do this weekend. I should be able to get my carbs back together and bench synched this weekend (finished painting them last night). If I do that correctly and can kind of sync them on the bike (I don't have a gauge YET) then I'll do that and see how well things work from there.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            There's no loss, as there is no movement of the water in the tube. Once it finds it's level there is no liquid flowing. Water levels have been used since Egyptian times, as they are as accurate as any and can be used over long distances, just as both sides of a lake are level no matter how wide the lake.
            You could use a tube a mile long and it wouldn't matter, it would read accurately once it found it's level. It would just take a very long time for it to find it's level. If you don't believe this go play with a garden hose until you do.

The only error is that if too small diameter tubing is used capillary action will pull the liquid up a little higher in the tube, but this would effect all the tubes equally so it really doesn't matter.
            Do you mean to tell me that you think this is a perfect method of measurement? Thats not how ANYTHING works! Of course, practically you're absolutely right, you would need an absurd length of tube to notice any offset but I assure you it is there.

Also, two sides of a lake are not usually perfectly level.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            It wasnt SNARLY..It was just asking if you understood why they want it done on a running bike..YOU didnt provide enough of a statement to clarify that you knew the reasoning or even that the manual said to do it that way. Please post clearly what you mean and others wont over post your intelligence. If you notice that when i reply i give my experience and the reasons and evidence behind what i am posting my experience on.. Too many times i read very vague and blanket statements like a parrot repeating what the owners have taught them to say.. And that wasnt an attack at you personally..relax.
            Too often intend is misunderstood in typed words. Its becoming more and more of a problem as we tend more and more towards typed communication.
            Thats why they invented these, . The trick is to know when to use them...

Noone can get offended when you slap one of these on the end of your sentence... you douchebag... !

Comment

Somebody get that man a burger!! I just love that commercial..LOL
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X